Gold Coast Railway Announcement

Re: Gold Coast Railway Announcement

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:09 pm

dileTTante wrote:
CSD wrote:Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about not having a supplier in North America for too much longer.

If that means what I think it means, then I was hoping you would say that.

He means it :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:28 pm

Then that is excellent news.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:52 pm

dileTTante wrote:
CSD wrote:Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about not having a supplier in North America for too much longer.

If that means what I think it means, then I was hoping you would say that.

So....for those of us that don't have superpowers (and those of us that have trouble reading between the lines), what does all of this mean :?: :? :wall: Is Sazmodel going to become the NA distributor of Lok & Rol products (specifically the "old" Gold Coast product line) :?: :clap:

Or, perhaps Gold Coast will remain in business as a distributor (not a manufacturer) only :?: :thinking:

Inquiring minds would like to know :!:
milwrd1

Re: Rising Prices

Postby railtwister » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:23 pm

CSD wrote:It's actually a pretty nasty circumstance that causes these prices to go up.

A little company cannot afford to produce domestically, so they find a company in China (for example). Eventually the Chinese business grows, their overhead increases and they take on bigger more profitable clients. The small customers can't afford the increase with the same pricing, are put on the back burner in favor of the other clients and can't find another manufacturer because it is the same story everywhere. So, might as well bring the production back home, except that all the domestic companies are closed because all the other customers left too.

In terms of the increase for existing items, international shipping is not free and neither are the customs and taxes that come with it. Don't forget overhead. It may simply cost them more to sell these items due to the structure of their business, inflation, local taxation, whatever. To suggest "price jacking" carries with it a negative connotation that I don't think applies here.

It is a very common practice for new owners to raise prices (even on existing inventory) after purchasing a business, to try to recoup their investment more quickly. Walthers is an excellent example of this, look what happens to prices whenever they take over a line of products, such as Proto 2000.

My biggest complaint is with the ridiculous prices the German postal authorities want for shipping. Last time I checked it was something like a $35 minimum for up to two pounds of package weight (or something like that), which really makes the price of a one or two freight cars or half a dozen freight trucks beyond my reach.

Along those lines, I see Athearn is rapidly increasing the price of their HO Ready-to-Roll freight cars as well, newly announced Airslide hoppers at $48+ and a new modern tank car at $44+. Fortunately, I've accumulated so much stuff over the years, that I already have more than I can ever realistically hope to use, even if I am tempted by new items, but how can newcomers to the hobby (especially if they're kids) afford it?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby areibel » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:42 pm

I've ordered a couple times from LnR, and I don't think the shipping was ever more than $10-$12 bucks? I still have one of the packages somewhere I'll have to check, but that for a locomotive chassis that probably weighs what three or four GC cars do.
That was for standard international airmail, no Priority anything but it still was here in just over a week. I think it's the same as here, some use the easiest way (like Ebay's new "Global Shipping" rip off) but if the shipper does a little more it can be much cheaper.
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:03 pm

Also keep in mind that most sellers simply expect you want insured shipping. That jacks up the price a lot.

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby MacG » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm

areibel wrote:I've ordered a couple times from LnR, and I don't think the shipping was ever more than $10-$12 bucks? ...

You think properly, small packages with insurance can be cheap.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby railtwister » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:13 pm

areibel wrote:I've ordered a couple times from LnR, and I don't think the shipping was ever more than $10-$12 bucks? I still have one of the packages somewhere I'll have to check, but that for a locomotive chassis that probably weighs what three or four GC cars do.
That was for standard international airmail, no Priority anything but it still was here in just over a week. I think it's the same as here, some use the easiest way (like Ebay's new "Global Shipping" rip off) but if the shipper does a little more it can be much cheaper.

In all fairness, my experience was not with LnR but rather someone else as I was shopping for Tillig bedding track (Euro Train Hobby was out of stock, and I was impatient) about a year or two ago. They told me that the German Postal Authorities had an arrangement with some freight forwarder (perhaps DHL, Airborne, or the like) to handle all outgoing foreign package shipments, and it was a flat rate box for up to a certain weight limit. Looking back, I can't recall the exact weight, although it was stated in metric terms, which was at least the equivalent of 2 pounds, maybe two kilos, perhaps more (I think US Priority Mail has a flat rate limit of two pounds).

I wish my memory was better about the details, but since I only wanted a few boxes of track at that time (which weighed next to nothing), once I heard the exorbitant minimum cost, I pretty much tuned out whatever else was said, and special ordered from ETH, even though I had to wait a while for him to get it in.

Hopefully, once their website is up to speed, LnR will have more detailed info about shipping to the USA.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby dileTTante » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:07 pm

German postal service is a private operation, not government, and it owns DHL. There's a web page on wikipedia about it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Post. Minimum parcel cost from Modellbahnwelt is 25 Euros. Offsetting that, VAT is not added to the price of the models and I have not been charged duty in Canada for the models. Also, when the package is less than minimum weight MBW throw in some TT brochures and catalogs. I wait and make an occasional purchase of sufficient value to justify the cost of transport. The dealers in N. America do that, too. They don't order things one at a time.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby railtwister » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:59 pm

dileTTante wrote:German postal service is a private operation, not government, and it owns DHL. There's a web page on wikipedia about it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Post. Minimum parcel cost from Modellbahnwelt is 25 Euros. Offsetting that, VAT is not added to the price of the models and I have not been charged duty in Canada for the models. Also, when the package is less than minimum weight MBW throw in some TT brochures and catalogs. I wait and make an occasional purchase of sufficient value to justify the cost of transport. The dealers in N. America do that, too. They don't order things one at a time.
-Terry C.

I think that may have been who quoted the shipping charges to me. My memory isn't real clear on this, but your mention of catalogs sparks the thought that I may actually have ordered at least some of my Bedding tracks and switches from MBW, since I do have a pretty hefty Tillig catalog showing the complete line. As for other catalogs, especially those printed in a language other than English, I have no use for most of them, since they usually don't cover my field of interest.

Returning to the high postage charge, would it be safe to assume that Deutsche_Post has a monopoly, and the cost to ship a package out of Germany will be the same, no matter who it comes from? As for deducting the VAT, they aren't doing that because they feel bad about the high cost of shipping!

I understand the concept of ordering more items to fill the box in order to help amortize the shipping costs, but unfortunately that argument doesn't hold any water with my wife, who claims (rightly) that I already have too much train stuff and don't really need more! I'm not a dealer, and have no desire to inventory items I can't use, simply to justify shipping costs. Maybe what we need to do is set up a co-op... (just kidding!).

Bill in FtL
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion