Gold Coast Railway Announcement

Re: Gold Coast Railway Announcement

Postby Marquette » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:47 am

Ah. VAT is included? Then that's not *quite* so bad.

And as I said - I don't mind paying more for newly-tooled models - I recognise that even GC's prices were increasing. My complaint was more the jacking up of prices on already-existing models, which IMO is an entirely different thing than charging more for a new release than for existing ones - note that as newer releases came with higher prices, the existing ones weren't increased to match...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:18 pm

It's actually a pretty nasty circumstance that causes these prices to go up.

A little company cannot afford to produce domestically, so they find a company in China (for example). Eventually the Chinese business grows, their overhead increases and they take on bigger more profitable clients. The small customers can't afford the increase with the same pricing, are put on the back burner in favor of the other clients and can't find another manufacturer because it is the same story everywhere. So, might as well bring the production back home, except that all the domestic companies are closed because all the other customers left too.

In terms of the increase for existing items, international shipping is not free and neither are the customs and taxes that come with it. Don't forget overhead. It may simply cost them more to sell these items due to the structure of their business, inflation, local taxation, whatever. To suggest "price jacking" carries with it a negative connotation that I don't think applies here.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby TTTerrific » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:15 pm

I agree with CSD. Factor in these additional costs to the importer, distributor, manufacturer, etc., the cost of the new products might be so high (retail) that the price of existing stock is raised in an attempt to offset the price, somewhat, of the new stuff to allow for a small "markdown" on the new products. Query also what does the ultimate customer want? Should the producer market rolling stock with fully detailed underbodies, "stand-off" ladders and grabirons, and all the other minituae that goes onto a "typical" freight or passenger car, or go with a more Spartan product that keeps costs down, but may not be so attractive to the ultimate customer? It's anybody's guess, and therefore the risk in any such venture as a new NA product in TT.
TTTerrific

Postby Marquette » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:56 pm

No, you're right, I know.

Can I just admit to bitching about yet another case of "we had something good *here*, and now it's been taken away to over *there*"?
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:55 pm

There are actually two very real options which would NOT have affected the prices.

Option 1: Felix and company could have simply turned off the lights and called a day.

Option 2: They could have sold the business to someone who didn't know what they were doing and went out of business.

Really I think the way things turned out was the best possible scenario. We know L&R are in it for real and they are serious about TT. The cars may be more expensive but at least they exist.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:49 pm

The rationale is sensible. We'll see how that sits with visitors to our upcoming train show when I tell them the N. American TT rolling stock has to be ordered from Germany at prices that rival garden railway items.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby Marquette » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:05 pm

dileTTante wrote:The rationale is sensible. We'll see how that sits with visitors to our upcoming train show when I tell them the N. American TT rolling stock has to be ordered from Germany at prices that rival garden railway items.
-Terry C.

That's the part that irks me, really. Not that it's Germany in specific, but that it's overseas.
Marquette

Postby CSD » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:51 am

Marquette wrote:
dileTTante wrote:The rationale is sensible. We'll see how that sits with visitors to our upcoming train show when I tell them the N. American TT rolling stock has to be ordered from Germany at prices that rival garden railway items.
-Terry C.

That's the part that irks me, really. Not that it's Germany in specific, but that it's overseas.

Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about not having a supplier in North America for too much longer.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby scaro » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:31 pm

As this is TT, one must balance the probabilities of rare events.
So the question necessarily arises... are they abolishing North America?
scaro

Postby dileTTante » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:04 pm

CSD wrote:Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about not having a supplier in North America for too much longer.

If that means what I think it means, then I was hoping you would say that.
dileTTante

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion