Get free stuff!

Re: Get free stuff!

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:03 pm

LOL they are liars mate, a lot of people I know say I am ok for my age----- they aint looking from my side though---- Have a great day tomorrow, youngster
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:10 am

hi richard, i dunno, i think train sets have their place. when i read the series of postings by 'bertiedog' about how all the bigger UK scales came to be, 00, TT3, 1:148 i developed a respect for the engineering that went into making stuff for train sets.

i'm still thinking code 40 rail but not sure whether the new FVM and art&detail TT-fine wheels will work on it and wonder if it's better to standardise on code 55 which is going to look pretty fine in TT anyway.

i am trying to gather evidence on what works.

there is or was a modeller, ray boss with a layout called 'Boss Trunk Lines' in TT and he used code 40 rail. not sure if anyone knows him and if he had to mill down all his HP wheelsets to use it?

http://www.ttscale.com/layouts/rb/Boss-lines-RR.html

ben
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi Ben
I heard a lot about Ray Boss from Jerry Golembowski over on TT_IMS although that was a few years ago now. I think he was real Old school even by my standards and there was a rumour about TT live steam that he played around with. So I have no reason to beleive that he didn't have handlaid code 40 as well.
The Clover House ties came about 8 hours after you left on Wednesday which was unfortunate as I would like your ideas really. Code 55 would be right for Norfolk and Western main line so I am gonna try my hand at handlaid track. But given the stuff I will run on it I am not sure it is a real good idea. But as I said before I am sort of veering towards the best I can do syndrome which means finer scale really. But I dont think it will be anywhere near code 40 for yars etc
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Does anybody know what code or width is of the flat bottom on code 55 rail, I am toying with the idea of etching tie plates now. Heck what am I doing all this for lol
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks Bernd well that is pretty much fine scale for N&W well ex Virginian 130lb rail then. Now do I cheat with tie plates by etching the cleat heads and soldering to the rail then gluing to the ties or actually try pining to the wooden ties mmm decisions decisions
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:31 pm

Well i am getting close to answering my own questions now, I glued some wooden ties to some Tillig track by way of an experiment. Also I tried some code 70 rail in the tillig tie bases for comparison. what became glaringly obvious is the need for tie plates on the wooden ties, without them i think the code 70 actually looks better and probably more realistic. Now I think this means that the code 55 route is going to be very time consuming and expensive getting tie plates etched. Plus side is the gorilla glue is amazingly strong so i wouldn't need to spike the plates but could replicate the spikes in the etched detail and just glue the plates to the wooden ties. Now I need to to draw ties for etching and get some code 55 and try that before i make a final decision. Comments would be most welcome
richardedmonds

Previous

Return to General Discussion