Get free stuff!

Re: Get free stuff!

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:48 pm

btw, Bill from Florida, check your PMs please.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 pm

I tried to explain this earlier - but it seems that it is still not clear.
It is NA market survey and the details of the product are not supposed to be exactly described here. I think that it contains too much information already now.

Don't worry about problems which do not exist :grin:
j p

Postby areibel » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:51 pm

ConducTTor wrote:The track I'm describing comes up as exactly .0715" on the calipers. That's from rail bottom to rail top.

Like Milwrd1 said,I'd count that as Code 70. I just checked some of the Kruger track I have and it measures exactly the same, .0715. No problem using it with what I already have!
areibel

Postby CSD » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:46 pm

One can combat the problem of rail size by having the module connection set not to the table surface or end profile, but to the top of the rail head. With that you could use any size rail and avoid those ugly transition sections and build the track flush with the end. FKTT does it that way.
modulnorm-bohrungen_0.gif
modulnorm-bohrungen_0.gif (4.18 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:33 pm

Haven't run out of the freebies yet. Keep the conversation going so I can send you something!!!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:36 am

Marquette wrote:I'm still intent on going Proto:120, so, no.

Would you mind describing what TT scale Proto:120 flex track would look like?

Code 55 rail (1950s transition era)? Tie plates? Wood-grain ties (would the grain be visible at 1:120 from a couple of feet away, where operators would stand next to the benchwork?) Tie bars, perhaps as an accessory to be glued in place by the modeler? More?

Thanks.

-Brian
Brian Chapman / Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Marquette » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:09 am

ConnRiver wrote:
Marquette wrote:I'm still intent on going Proto:120, so, no.

Would you mind describing what TT scale Proto:120 flex track would look like?

Code 55 rail (1950s transition era)? Tie plates? Wood-grain ties (would the grain be visible at 1:120 from a couple of feet away, where operators would stand next to the benchwork?) Tie bars, perhaps as an accessory to be glued in place by the modeler? More?

Well, there wouldn't *be* any flex track per se - it'll all just be hand-laid as needed! This isn't something that I have any desire to make for others... mostly because I have little desire to *do* it at all, but I would like to have the result. So it's a necessary evil type of thing.

But aside from that, basically the idea is Code 55 for the mains, 40 for the sidings. Full detail with tie plates, tie bars etc in places where the track is very visible, wooden ties, etc.

As for the visibility of the grain... does it need to be visible? What does the track gauge *look* like? 3 mm? 5? Now if you do the math, calling it 5 mm, from 3' away... to see a standard gauge railway as appearing as 5 mm between the rails, you need to be 861' feet up. You can't see the grain from there. :)
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:10 am

Okay a further add to that: that doesn't mean it doesn't need to be there - because when taking photographs, especially close-up photos, it all definitely *will* be visible. And getting proto-like photos will need all of the detail.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:50 pm

richardedmonds wrote:
areibel wrote:I'd go for it. Code 70 is only about a scale inch too big for most modern (post 1950) rail, I think a reasonably priced readily available track system would be a good thing. I would rather see larger turnouts available, that would put it ahead of Tillig, IMHO.

Me too I agree with Al, I am geeting too old to make my own track now :lol: :lol:

I've done it again, spouted off before my brain was in gear ( which isn't often now). I got some ties from Tom at Clover House and and after looking at some Norfolk & Western rail started thinking that I find myself leaning towards Marquettes way of thinking now. Ben came over the other evening and talking to him made me realise how much of a trainset man as opposed to a modeller I really am.
I'm starting to seriously think that as we are such a small group then I should try to get it right as far as possible. Some code 70 which is all I have here looks so much better on Toms ties than any other track I have and now I am wondering if I should go the whole hog and try code 55.
This is a dilemma now as I am thinking of starting a small layout and do not want to change anything halfway through. Is this really practical or not though for a sixty year old with failing everything LOL
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:31 pm

C'mon Richard! Don't you know that 60 is the new 30?
(says the guy that will be 53 tomorrow- so that should convert out to what, 26 or 27?) :grin:
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion