Get free stuff!

Re: Get free stuff!

Postby Rich B » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:34 am

Though I'm not US based, my answer would be a definite yes. At this point my plans are to use TT filigran track on my long term layut, but if something of a similar price to Tillig was available I would certainly be interested. I don't think the difference between code 55 and code 60 is all that visible, so I'd be happy with either of those. As a thought, if something was produced to take code 60 rail, Peco's individulay IL-1 rail could be slotted in.
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 am

What if it was code 73? I know there's no such thing in real life but that's what it works out to.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:33 am

No. I think US branchlines tended to be a scale .044" in TT and the 2mm Association sell 'code 40' flatbottom rail that works out that height. As long as these new TT-fine wheels can be used on it, handlaid track using this rail will be my preference.

There isn't a type of RTR track I've yet seen that looks like real track, in part because it is designed to withstand the rigours of mass production and to be part of a toy train set. Fair enough, but I want something that looks real.

I was at a decent size exhibition on the weekend and track appearance was the one big negative, on layouts from Z to N to TT3 to HO to 00 to O to G. (Triang TT was the worst. Awful track. Sure it is durable though!)

If the new wheels won't do code 40, I'd go for code 55 rail as the next option and if they make code 55 RTR track I might consider it. But that's about as close as I'd get, and I'd still veer toward handlaid.

Ben
scaro

Postby areibel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:50 pm

I'd go for it. Code 70 is only about a scale inch too big for most modern (post 1950) rail, I think a reasonably priced readily available track system would be a good thing. I would rather see larger turnouts available, that would put it ahead of Tillig, IMHO.
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:13 pm

areibel wrote:I'd go for it. Code 70 is only about a scale inch too big for most modern (post 1950) rail, I think a reasonably priced readily available track system would be a good thing. I would rather see larger turnouts available, that would put it ahead of Tillig, IMHO.

Me too I agree with Al, I am geeting too old to make my own track now :lol: :lol:
richardedmonds

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:50 pm

areibel wrote:I'd go for it. Code 70 is only about a scale inch too big for most modern (post 1950) rail, I think a reasonably priced readily available track system would be a good thing. I would rather see larger turnouts available, that would put it ahead of Tillig, IMHO.

I believe readily available would be a key factor. Reasonably priced (maybe lower than Tillig) would be great. If we want a track system that will accommodate both NA and European equipment, Code 70 is the way to go. Code 73 would be fine. Conformance with NA proto would not be a priority concern. Close to scale sized ties and rail will do the trick, and Code 70 will accomodate both NA and European equipment. I understand that Code 70 is large for prototype rail in TT scale, but the compromise is made to accomodate the equipment that is and has been available in the past.

Hand laying track is very satisfying, I've done some, but I'll get on board with the others on this one, I would prefer a ready made track system.

And, to support a previous post (I can't remember who posted), the HP wheelsets have no problems with code 55 rail.
milwrd1

Postby Marquette » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:20 am

I'm still intent on going Proto:120, so, no.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:51 pm

milwrd1 wrote:

I believe readily available would be a key factor. Reasonably priced (maybe lower than Tillig) would be great. If we want a track system that will accommodate both NA and European equipment, Code 70 is the way to go. Code 73 would be fine. Conformance with NA proto would not be a priority concern. Close to scale sized ties and rail will do the trick, and Code 70 will accomodate both NA and European equipment. I understand that Code 70 is large for prototype rail in TT scale, but the compromise is made to accomodate the equipment that is and has been available in the past.

I would also purchase such track. In April I bought 3 20-packs of Kuehn Code 70 flex-track when CMS-Modell in Germany had that super-sale (see my post at kuehn-flextrack-on-sale-t2183.html ), but I will surely need more since my planned layout keeps growing :whistle:

The big problem is turnouts. While matching up Tillig's Code 81 turnouts to the Code 70 flex-track is not hard, I would much rather have a uniform track system. Plus, as I pointed out in my previous posts about turnout geometry - sazmodel-code-55-6-turnouts-t2199-70.html and turnout-dimensions-t1006-10.html - the nastiest feature of Tillig turnouts is the continued curve past the frog, which is especially bothersome for parallel-track crossovers.

So yes, I would be an eager customer for your proposed track system, especially correct #6 turnouts and, as a second choice, #5's for yards. While #8's are sexier, I don't believe they are all that necessary in real operation at scale speeds; the large HO layout that I operate on has MicroEngineering #6 crossovers that give no trouble to 89-foot freight cars.

But, if these proposed tracks are Code 73, will Bill Dixon turn me away at module meets under his proposed TT module standards? :thinking:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby milwrd1 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:38 pm

gerhard_k wrote:

But, if these proposed tracks are Code 73, will Bill Dixon turn me away at module meets under his proposed TT module standards? :thinking:

Looking at what Bill D proposed, "S3.10 Track on the through route of a Mainline module must ALL be Code 70 nickel-silver rail without exception." there certainly should be a way for reasonable people to work this out, noting that the difference is small and that all code 70 rail is not exactly 0.070 inches high. I haven't measured lately, but some of the manufactured code 70 rail could be as short as 0.068 or as tall as 0.072 inches. I don't have any idea what the tolerance would be on a product like model rail.

One solution would be to use the 2 inch module joiner pieces as transistion pieces to accomodate the small differences in rail height. Up to 0.005 inches should not be to difficult to remove from the rail height with a file. Perhaps this could be done before the meet if you knew the rail height of the module(s) you were going to mate with at the meet or train show.

Let's not re-invent the wheel here. The HO guys have built modules for assembly at train shows for years. How have they tackled this issue? I believe Bill in Florida could provide input on this.
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:47 pm

The track I'm describing comes up as exactly .0715" on the calipers. That's from rail bottom to rail top.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion