Germany - DB AG and private Railways

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.

Re: Germany - DB AG and private Railways

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Dibbedabb wrote:
LVG1 wrote:Are there TT-scale models of series E41? I'm not sure. German Modellbau Wiki lists six versions made by TT-Modellbau in 2007. I've never seen them, have you? It wouldn't be the first myth bandied by this site. It already listed other models as "available" which were actually only advertized but never made.
May be, somebody else can enlighten us...

I guess I can enlighten you. The name you gave ("TT-Modellbau") is not the entire name. The entire name is "TT-Modellbau Matthias Kehrer". If you ever have the chance to buy something from this manufacturer - don't! Better run as fast as you can!
In a German TT forum (tt-board.de) this company has the nickname "Kneti Kehrer", which could be translated with "Puggy Kehrer". He's famous for his extremely bad quality and models that redefine the term "a reproduction of the original". He uses plastic materials that start some kind of rusting after a few years.

Plus, he's a master of announcements, even more than Kuehn. None of the models he announces in his catalogues is a real Kehrer model, he always uses models of other manufacturers (mostly H0). And luckily, only few things are actually made. If you want an impression and if you really like to laugh, check this (his) website: https://picasaweb.google.com/MKehrerTT. Obviously he is proud of that stuff... I've never seen a Kehrer product in reality...

To close with a more serious sentence: If he did that as a hobby for his own, I would say "wow, cool!". But since he acts as a manufacturer, this makes me kind of sad...

Haha check out the green/silver separation at the roof of this car https://picasaweb.google.com/MKehrerTT/ ... 2122619522 Do you guys not have masking tape in Germany :wink: ?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Wed May 27, 2015 5:06 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Do you guys not have masking tape in Germany :wink: ?

Of course we have :wall:
Dibbedabb

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 27, 2015 10:21 pm

It was a joke :)

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Thu May 28, 2015 2:55 am

I know ;)
Dibbedabb

Postby LVG1 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:00 am

Obviuosly, Mr. Kehrer is enthusiastic. That's very praiseworthy.
His results would be okay if they motivated him to improve his activities.

But it seems that his evaluation of his models and skills is not very realistic. And that's truely sad! :(
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Marquette » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:38 am

And then when you tell him you want to buy something, he says okay, but I'm busy now so I'll let you know. No response for a few weeks, send another message, no response...

I wanted to get a couple of the Schlieren coaches (I think, or the Austrian coaches) to use to make some North Korean coaches to put behind my M62. Never heard a thing back apart from the initial 2 messages.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Dibbedabb » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:49 am

@LVG1
About the popularity of the class 120 in (former) Eastern Germany: I think, your text contains a lot of coffee cup reading...

I think, the entire situation with the 120 is much easier.
First about the question, why the 120 is a rather seldom sight in Eastern Germany. Although the 120 was not built to replace the 103, it actually did in many situations. To understand that, one has to look onto the 103 with it's history. The class 103 was designed to pull rather short und lightweight (first class only) trains at higher speeds (with a top speed of 200kph). So, with the introduction of more and more newly built and reconstructed high speed tracks during the 70s and 80s and also with the introduction of 2nd class in the IC system, the trains became much longer, heavier and - due to the rising number of 200kph-passages - faster. For this the 103 wasn't made, so this led to an increase in damages within the 103 fleet. The 120 was - 20 years after the 103 - better adapted to the new requirements (heavy trains with 200kph on long routes), so it partly replaced the 103 on these routes.
Now, why is the 120 rather seldom in the Eastern parts of Germany? When the wall came down, there was a huge need for new inner-German connections, but - in contrast to the model railroad - in reality you can't just pull out new locomotives out of the cupboard. And - of course - the Bundesbahn had ordered their 120 for the requirements of the old (western) Germany. Then there was the situation, that all of the Reichsbahn network (or at least most of) was in a rather bad condition, and the max system speed was limited to 120kph. So, there was no good reason to use the 120 on the Reichsbahn network and not the 103. This might explain the number of 103 in the former East. Then, when the 101 was introduced, it was spread all over Germany, and crews were trained all over Germany. In my opinion that's the main reason for the 120 being focussed on the former western parts until today: There are simply no (or only few) crews in the former east that can work with the 120, but enough crews for the 101. So, again there is still no reason, why the 120 should be used in the former east. Plus the fact, that the number of damages also increases within the 120-fleet.

About the model: Let's face it, model railroading is more or less an old-men-hobby. In both parts of Germany the eras III and IV are the leading eras, which comes from the mixture of steam, diesel and electric locos at the same time. Eras V and VI are rising, but still far behind III and IV. Of course the people collect, what they have seen, which - naturally - is Reichsbahn in the former east and Bundesbahn in the former west. Why should they change, if they already have 250+ locomotives and a larger number of cars? Nearly no one does, at least not from DR to DB (or the other way around). There are people changing from III/IV to V/VI (and back)...
Plus, the only model of the 120 available in TT is made by Beckmann, a small manufacturer with small batches and rather high prices. In pre-internet-times (it's hard to believe, but they existed :mrgreen: ) his products were hardly available. Today, his products are quite easy to get, BUT (and this is a fact to me) Beckmann is great, as long as it comes to Steam locomotives, but his (old) Electrics are quite weak. Especially the 120 is an old model (visually and technically), offered at a price tag I'm not willing to pay.
So, I would be happy to have an up-to-date model of the 120 at a reasonable price.
Dibbedabb

Postby LVG1 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:40 am

I absolutely agree.
And there's no conflict with what I wrote.

But I dare to claim that the "aftertaste" which I described exists, however.
I know several East German model railroaders who hate series 120 but love other West German types, although. Yet, I couldn't find another comprehensible explanaion of this interesting peculiarity. And one or two model railroaders bore me out in feeling this "aftertaste".
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Previous

Return to Prototypes by Country