German loft layout

Re: German loft layout

Postby MacG » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:16 pm

You have only one way from the mainline to drive to the turntable, better are two. It's more realistic.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Hi MacG,
I know I know .... I have desperately tried to reduce the number of turnouts in order to make the layout possible to build both financially and time-wise. At present there are 37 turnouts (12-15 euro per turnout, plus add a turnout motor for each, plus the time to install and wire etc ... My thinking is that I can always add a turnout later when/if the lack of realism bothers me. The plan might then look as the attached one ... but then I have to add another crossover - another two turnouts! Any suggestions for turnouts that can be removed?
Juup
Attachments
Loft_Layout_TT_Scale_January_2014_B.jpg
Juup

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:01 pm

I like your plan very much. It's actually the reason I started thinking so much about how to do mine.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:44 pm

"Any suggestions for turnouts that can be removed?"

Maybe some of these? The crossover from track 2 to track one and that extra lead to the turntable( access it from the main line instead so loco on all tracks can get to it easier) . One of the crossovers sets from 3 to 2 and from 4 to 3, move the first mainline crossover further out so the trains can use it and one opposite set of crossovers as a longer runaround. Eliminate one set of tracks to the transfer table, since they are backshop facilities they don't need more than one entrance .Eliminate one of the spurs by the diesel tanks and make it one longer spur instead....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Juup » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:43 pm

Some good suggestions. Some of the mentioned turnouts are there for 'operating' reasons. E.g. the second access to the transfer table (the one on the left) is for locos getting ready and waiting for duty, and this in turn necessitates the extra crossover from track 4 to track 3. The crossover from track 2 to track 1 is to push back trains (along the burgundy coloured track) then freeing up the steam loco to return to the depot. I gave up on doing push back for the electric passenger tracks (tracks 3-6) as that would be too complicated with 6-7 full length passenger coaches. Arriving e-locos will remain at the terminal end of the track until the train set departs again with a fresh loco. However, the second access to the turntable (bottom left) could perhaps be omitted, and access to the Diesel facilities could be simplified - thanks - I will give that some thought!
Juup
Juup

Postby MacG » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:15 pm

less turnouts and a parking track for the loco change
Attachments
Juup_Layout_3.PNG
MacG

Postby Juup » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:04 pm

Hi MacG,
I hesitate to put in more double cross overs ... especially on the blue mainline tracks. The Tillig DWKII is 15 degree, so not easily combined with my more general use of 12 degree EW3. But yes I know Tillig track is a bit flexible ... I am considering using some Peco HOm double crossovers which are 12 degree (the two leading up towards the means of Way depot), and on the bottom right I have put in some Bemo HOm turnouts. Thinking that the ballast will hide the slightly larger sleepers on the HOm tracks ... once I get so far as to lay the track for the station area I will experiment with what looks good. I will stick to what is available to buy ... if I am building turnouts from scratch it will take forever. I was thinking the fresh loco would wait on the left side of the traverser because from there it can easily reach all the electrified tracks (the blue ones).
Juup
Juup

Postby MacG » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Sorry, my fault, the DKW II is also very expensive. Why you don't use the EW2 at the yards and take the EW3 only for the mainline?

Your fresh loco has then a long way to the destination and blocked eventually the traverser. If it use them.

By the way, you have a great track distance at the station from over 43mm. I would take 43mm.
MacG

Postby j p » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:38 pm

MacG wrote:Sorry, my fault, the DKW II is also very expensive. Why you don't use the EW2 at the yards and take the EW3 only for the mainline?

Your fresh loco has then a long way to the destination and blocked eventually the traverser. If it use them.

By the way, you have a great track distance at the station from over 43mm. I would take 43mm.

Because EW2 is too short?
I don't want EW2 anywhere on the visible part of the layout either. But I have just received a starter set from Filligran. It is very good! There was only one minor mistake, but I could correct it easily. The bolts are so small that it can be used for NA layouts too. Nobody can see that it does not have spikes. Rail height is 1.55 mm.
j p

Postby Juup » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Yes EW2 is too short.

The distance between the tracks will be adjusted at the track laying stage. Will consider various factors such as signalling ... catenary ... smooth running of long passenger trains and more.

TT Filligran ... nice. Never seen their turnouts in person. I am tempted to get a couple of really long ones from them for where the trains from the station join the mainline - top left of the plan.

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans