German loft layout

Re: German loft layout

Postby Juup » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:05 am

Hi Dibbedabb,

Great comments!

A1 goes to A1 / A2 goes to A2 / B1 goes to B1 / B2 goes to B2. Yes, right hand traffic.

See the plan of hidden track – just posted – for more detail. Note the pink track to turn around trains. EDIT: Yes I have a loop :angel:

There is no rise between the small station by the main line and tunnel C. In fact, this will be more or less a level track. The mountain line won’t start rising until after it branches and enters tunnel D.

Yes, the goods trains have to travel across the dual gauge track and points, and will have to slow down quite a bit. So, yes, the tail end of a goods train might then linger for a while on the mainline … not optimal. I could: a) move the small station further to the right, and/or b) create a separate track for goods trains to return to the staging – so avoid dual gauge altogether. However, I am reluctant to create more track and also the long straight section in front of the small station (which now is partial dual gauge) could be used as a lay-by allowing faster passenger trains to pass slower goods trains, and the goods train then re-entering the mainline in direction of tunnel B. Need to think about all this some more ...

Juup
Juup

Postby MacG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:37 pm

I think you can shorten the transfer table from RBS. The stage / bridge you can't shorten. I take a look on it, at the next exhibition.

Two plans from me, with some modifications.

juup_kopfbahnhof_3.jpg

juup_kopfbahnhof_4.jpg
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Juup » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:13 pm

Final version for now ... I'm sure there will be more tweaking, but I need to move up to the loft and begin constructing this 'beast' :ugeek:

Oh, I gave the layout a name.

Juup
Attachments
Loft_Layout_TT_Scale_2013_Summer.jpg
Juup

Postby MacG » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:00 pm

If it near the narrow gauge station are only crossings, then I would to leave it off. The platform can move between the main track.
Juup_Layout_2.PNG
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Juup » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Finally finished the loft space - roof windows and all :) Started building the baseboard, and the structure/supports are in place. A 'floating' design with the heavy purlins (covered with white hardboard left and right) taking the load. A bit of an engineering task but good fun :) See photo.

Hope to complete the 'zero' level of the baseboard by the end of the year, and then ready to finally lay some track in the new year. I have some time off work (sabbatical of sorts) for 6 months starting early February. Looking forward to that!!

Juup

DSC01599.JPG
As seen from just inside the doorway. Central station will be on the left.
Juup

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I like the rail plan - so I want to see it built!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:17 am

Nice looking benchwork. Wish I could take 6 months off to play trains!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:35 am

CSD wrote:Nice looking benchwork. Wish I could take 6 months off to play trains!

Right! I'd be in heaven.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Juup » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:36 pm

Will be doing some other things as well so not all trains all the time. But at a minimum there will be trains for some part of most days :)

... using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby Juup » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 pm

An update on the trackplan ... tweaking it from time to time to keep me motivated. Benchwork is proceeding steadily but slowly. Christmas/New Year's was busy with family and travel engagements. Will use 12mm softwood ply as baseboard, and expect to cover this with 2mm rubberished cork ... to keep everything smooth and quiet, and then add 2 or 3mm strips of the same material under the track to raise it a bit ... will buy bulk rolls and cut myself to keep costs down. Any comments on this is welcome. Will post pictures when I get so far :)
Juup
Attachments
Loft_Layout_TT_Scale_January_2014_A.jpg
Juup

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans