German loft layout

Re: German loft layout

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 26, 2013 12:50 am

LVG1 wrote:I couldn't find the upload function, anymore. What's wrong there, conductor?

Works for me. Try it again?

2013-05-26_0050.png
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Sun May 26, 2013 8:30 am

ConducTTor wrote:
LVG1 wrote:I couldn't find the upload function, anymore. What's wrong there, conductor?

2013-05-26_0050.png

That's for the attachment.
That's what I've used.
But what about the gallery?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby MacG » Sun May 26, 2013 1:35 pm

Nice idea, but there are some problems. The Diesel Fuel Facility must be placed away from steam powered locomotives. You can change the place with the office. Open fire near to fuel involves no security. A saw tooth ride is not an european thing, it is an amaerican. But there are too less space to maneuver directly to the Diesel Facility or Fuel Station. For more space, move the turnouts near to platform 3 and 4. The length of that can be left, but it shortened the other platforms.

Only trains on tracks 5-7 can be depart, if a train come in. For me are to less waiting spots near a platform. Track 1 can be use as team track, I would connect the stub end to the depot, because of the freight to and from the depot. You have then a direct access without using the blue tracks. Track 2 is good for railcars and steam trains.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby LVG1 » Sun May 26, 2013 2:31 pm

MacG wrote:Nice idea, but there are some problems. The Diesel Fuel Facility must be placed away from steam powered locomotives. You can change the place with the office. Open fire near to fuel involves no security.

Good point!
But on the other hand; fuel tanks close to the passenger station are also not a good idea...

MacG wrote:A saw tooth ride is not an european thing, it is an amaerican. But there are too less space to maneuver directly to the Diesel Facility or Fuel Station.

I don't think that the differences between European and American railroading are too significant.
Have you ever been to Cottbus? The southern part of the depot (which was abandoned and stripped off its tracks several years ago) was only accessible with two changes of direction from the southern part of the station.

MacG wrote:For more space, move the turnouts near to platform 3 and 4. The length of that can be left, but it shortened the other platforms.

I like long trains. That's why I tried to not limit Juup's possibilities.
But on the other hand; two long platforms (3 and 4) should actually be enough.

MacG wrote:Only trains on tracks 5-7 can be depart, if a train come in.

Yes. But I think, that's okay.
The times of redundant in- and outbound tracks enabling as many simultaneous moves as possible have long been gone. These redundances have been removed step by step over the decades.

Let's see what Juup makes of our input... :wink:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby j p » Sun May 26, 2013 4:52 pm

I don't have any scheme of a German depot, but here is a Danish one - the scheme is from 1959, steam + small diesel switchers.
All of the functions mentioned here can be found in it.
(Everything has to be reduced for a model, of course. No need to make 2 roundhouses unless making a model of the depot itself)
The northern roundhouse was destroyed by fire in 1981 and the rest was removed soon after. A new depot/inspection facility was built instead - a hall with 3 tracks + a washing hall added next to it.

Here it is in H0

More pictures for inspiration can be found here: http://www.jernbanen.dk/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=38598
j p

Postby CSD » Mon May 27, 2013 9:19 am

I must say I have really been enjoying this conversation about station and depot construction. Very informative.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 27, 2013 11:38 am

Same here! When I start designing the tracks for my station I will be reading this thread again.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Mon May 27, 2013 11:39 am

LVG1 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:

2013-05-26_0050.png

That's for the attachment.
That's what I've used.
But what about the gallery?

Just FYI, I will be looking into this soon.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:05 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Just FYI, I will be looking into this soon.

Not neccessary!
Last evening I was searching for the function. It took some time but I've finally found it. It's hidden in the hindmost corner.
I think, it's the same problem that I have with most software; I know there's a function but I don't find it because I can't reconstruct the system which the programmer followed.
The upload function is something very essential for something like a picture gallery. So I've simply expected it at a clearly more prominent position.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby Dibbedabb » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:15 pm

MacG wrote:Only trains on tracks 5-7 can be depart, if a train come in.

That's a big point, and - even worse - the entire station is blocked if there is any traffic from tracks 4, 5, 6 and 7 to the depot or the pull track.

Although there is a pull track now this can't be enough. If you pull a train out of a station track into this pull track, you have to wait, until the loco of the train has left the station, before you can shunt the train back into the station. For this time you block your shunting loco as it is stuck on the dead end of the pull track.

While the track plan offers a lot of storage for locomotives, you still don't have storage sidings for passenger trains. Due to it's nature a terminal station is a station, where most trains end. You would block your station if you stored unused train sets on plattform tracks. If you take a look at Hamburg-Altona (a rather small terminal station compared to others like Frankfurt/M, Stuttgart or Leipzig), you can see the number of storage sidings, although it has only 4 platforms (like you do). So I would say that you would need at least as many tracks for storing unused trains as you have plattform tracks.
I found Altona's track plan, including Langenfelde storage sidings. Just to compare, this is Frankfurt/M. :mrgreen:

About the fuelling: As said Diesel is flammable (although not explosive), so the fuel station will never be on a track with catenary.
Dibbedabb

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans