German loft layout

Re: German loft layout

Postby j p » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Dibbedabb wrote:Since I have already installed 3 EW2, I can confirm that they don't work without a switch motor. It needs a really powerful switch motor and a strong wire (as I wrote before). The forces in the EW3 are little lower, since the switch blades are longer (angular forces :wink: ), but both don't work without a switch motor - no way...

Have you reduced the stiffness as described in the guide?
It is also possible to bend them slightly before assembling to reduce the force needed for switching.
They work fine with old Zeuke electomagnetic drive (for hidden tracks). I haven't tried without any drive, but it should be possible to make a mechanical solution. Additional springs can even reduce the force needed for switching close to zero, the only remaining force left would be the one caused by friction.
j p

Postby Juup » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:17 pm

All your excellent comments and advice have made me wary ... yes I dont want to have any trouble with these switches given their location. I will report when I get so far. Perhaps 3 weeks from now. Waiting for order from Germany :) In the mean time I am continuing to cut plywood pieces to size ... plus planning and ordering in bits and bobs :)

Juup

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby Dibbedabb » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm

@j p
No, I installed them right away. Since I already broke one switch, I'm more into wiring and a strong switch motor than into doing small adjustments to delicate switch parts :wink:
I don't have any old drives. Sold everything in the mid 1990s (or threw it away - don't remember).
Dibbedabb

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans