Gapmaster

Gapmaster

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue May 07, 2013 12:02 am

There is a company; American Tie and Timber http://www.americantieandtimber.com/index.html that makes what they call the Gapmaster. Here are some examples.

I asked them if they would do them in TT-Scale.
Yes if we provide dimensions and make a minimum starting order (100 pieces at $ 2.00 each plus shipping).

These are made to make gaping track easy while keeping the rails in gauge. They can also be used at module ends where the track goes right to the edge.

I am interested in ordering these some time this year.
Is anybody else interested in them?
What size of ties? I was thinking about 8'6" long by 9" wide spaced 21" centre to centre, four ties per piece.
TT Scale Gapmaster.jpg

Thoughts?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: Gapmaster

Postby areibel » Tue May 07, 2013 7:30 am

I'd be interested in getting enough to do a module or two, maybe 6-12? They're cheap enough it wouldn't matter, so say a dozen!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 07, 2013 10:11 am

DAMNIT :evil:

I could have used those last night. Too late.

And yes, I would order those.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue May 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Greetings Bill, Wayne is a great guy and will go out of his way to work with folks. As I'm a GapMaster vendor, let me know if you're getting close but not there on your minimum order and I'll see if I can pick up the slack. The only other thing I would recommend is that most modern western track is more likely to be laid on 24 inch centers rather than 21 inches, however, as with everything else in railroading (both 120:1 and 1:1), exceptions abound. Tom Dempsey
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 07, 2013 2:46 pm

What would be the delivery time if this pans out? I can immediately use about 20.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sat May 11, 2013 4:35 pm

I talked to Wayne about some other sizes I'm getting short of while preparing for the National Narrow Gauge Show in August, he says he's running about two months between ordering from the factory and stock arriving so if you guys can commit to say fifty, I'll pick up the other half of the order and you'll see your product in about 2-3 months. Again, Bill, I'd like to know why you choose 21 inch centers for modern track. Is this a Canadian spec? Also, Wayne cuts to different depths to match up with available flex track. I noted you haven't set a depth spec so what are you thinking. Since there isn't any currently available North American spec flextrack available, you may be setting the spec for a future endeavor here. Hoping to hear from you folks soon, Tom Dempsey
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 11, 2013 9:17 pm

Good questions ^^^^

Given that the most abundant/available TT track in NA is Tillig I think it makes the most sense if dimensions correlate to that. I'd prefer taking the measurements off of Kuhn or TT Filigran track but again, if TT is to grow we have to make things that would satisfy most people.

I'll commit to 25.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun May 12, 2013 12:43 pm

I haven't been able to find a listing for Tillig flex track, who stocks it? I don't think these will be a happy mix with sectional track. I have, however, received a lot of good feedback from folks who hand lay track. There are also a number of folks who use them to stabilize the ends of hand laid switches. Tom Dempsey
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Sun May 12, 2013 1:07 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:I haven't been able to find a listing for Tillig flex track, who stocks it?

George at ETH can get as much of it as you want. There are 3 different ones on this page (currently out of stock): http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/straight- ... t/c131/s1d

Tom Dempsey wrote:I don't think these will be a happy mix with sectional track.

Actually it's an exact fit.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun May 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Sorry for being unclear Alex, I meant the GapMasters being applied to sectional track, they work great with flex.
Tom Dempsey

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans