Gapmaster

Re: Gapmaster

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 15, 2013 1:11 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:If the idea is to re-ignite TT scale modeling of North American prototypes, then shouldn't any new product developed match North American prototype practice rather than European practice?

Sure. However I don't know anyone who sells NA proto track.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 pm

I'm working on frogs and trucks right now Alex, once that nut is cracked I'll move down the list.
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 15, 2013 2:30 pm

Is there a reason not to have one of each? Start out with a version that fits the currently available track (Tillig) and when something else is available a second version can be added. I mean c'mon, at $2 a piece we're not talking about a life altering investment here.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed May 15, 2013 7:04 pm

As I said, Wayne makes different p/n's to match different track manufacturers in the same scale, so yes down the road there could be multiple TT scale sizes available. However, he's going to want a minimum order of 100 in whatever size Bill chooses. As long as Bill can get at least fifty commitments, I'll pick up the rest and put them in stock in my store. But I'm not sure I want to pick up 100 or 150 TT scale GapMasters at this point, so you guys will need to decide what's the first size everyone wants to go with.
Tom Dempsey

Postby ConducTTor » Wed May 15, 2013 7:10 pm

I commit to 20 matching Tillig.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby WillYart » Sat May 18, 2013 10:27 pm

By my count folks have asked for a total of about 50 of these. Anyone else? We need to get up to 100 right?
WillYart

Postby areibel » Sat May 18, 2013 11:16 pm

I said a dozen, but I'll go for more if it makes a difference? No immediate need, but for $2 you can't go wrong!
areibel

Postby CSD » Sun May 19, 2013 3:31 am

Okay. I'll take 50 if they match Tillig track.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby WillYart » Wed May 22, 2013 7:31 pm

Splendid, I am really looking forward to my Gapmasters!
WillYart

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon May 27, 2013 3:08 pm

I have been monitoring the replies to my original posting and trying to come to a consensus as to what to make.
First an updated diagram of the various possible variations of Gapmasters.
TT Scale Gapmaster Comparison.jpg

If you print the image with no scaling it is exact size for the track.

I show the three common tie lengths used on North American railroads.
As I don't think any of us are modelling Modern heavy mainline railroads we can ignore the nine foot tie length and stick to the eight foot six inch length. Those who want eight foot ties can easily shorten the Gapmasters.

The four types of possible Gapmasters shown are for Modern Mainline, Compromise, Modern Branch Line and Tillig track.

Looking at them I think that two types will do for now; North American Compromise and Tillig Track.

The Tillig Track one is close enough to North American Branch Line - shorter, wider, wider spaced ties - that it could be used for branch line track but is too far out for the other two types.

As I am not very interested in the Tillig version and I am located in Canada, it would make sense for one of the US modelers interested in this project to take over sponsorship of the Tillig Track Gapmaster. That will greatly reduce shipping charges as the initial production will not have to shipped to Canada and then back to the US.

I will continue with the US Compromise version. I need to figure out what thickness they should be.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans