Gandy Dancer 4-4-0 kit

Re: Gandy Dancer 4-4-0 kit

Postby railtwister » Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:28 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:
Rob M wrote:
CaTTwoman281 wrote:Just how ugly are we talking, and are all the parts there?

I guess it's not so much ugly, just that it doesn't match any prototype and . . .

The drivers look too small. Most 4-4-0s had large drivers.
And the tender sits too high on the trucks.

I agree, it is pretty ugly. To me, the drivers look too close together, and the distance from the lead truck to the first driver is too great. It looks like it was originally a 4-6-0 with it's first set of drivers removed. Also, the step-down in boiler diameters just doesn't look right, it's too abrupt.

You're right, the tender sits too high on it's trucks, as well.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby railbus2 » Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:26 pm

I keep looking at those pictures...Realize that the tender looks like the tender from the Ten-wheeler, had that brass wrap around shell. Also looks like the brass cast fittings - smokestack, etc. My early memories of the 4-4-0 were mostly white metal castings - maybe they updated then at some point. I learned to never say never with the early TT manufacturers. I actually had an HP 2-8-8-2 at one point - they did exist. Sold it to the fellow in Arizona who was trying to establish a TT museum (too cheap!)...forget his name, but know he has since passed away. Good guy. I think they eventually sold his collection. Is Larry Sayre still kicking? Used to deal with him a bit...and John Harmon, of course.
railbus2

Postby Arseny » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:55 pm

I've seen 2-8-8-2 on Ebay not so long ago... or was it 2-6-6-2?
Unforutunately, in was too expensive for me... and needs too much space.

As I know, Larry Sayre died not so long ago... :(
Arseny

Re: Larry Sayre

Postby railtwister » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:27 pm

Yes, unfortunately Larry died a short while back. Just this past week there was some discussion over on the Yahoo group about some problems concerning his estate. I once visited Larry's home on an NMRA layout tour, where his layout was in his basement. He impressed me as being a very nice guy...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby areibel » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:43 pm

Yes, it was back in early January that Larry passed away. The TT'er in Arizona, would that have been Hank Brown? He was down in AZ I believe, and was a big force in TT back then.
areibel

Postby railbus2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:47 pm

Been off for awhile...do you still have parts for 4-4-0, or what did you decide on it?

W.H.
railbus2

Postby Rob M » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 pm

It's still available but I haven't done anything for the sides. I could probably machine some out of plastic, that is an option.
Rob M

Postby railbus2 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:07 pm

I suppose it would be best to convert a more detailed cab from something - even the original Ten Wheeler cab was awfully stark. Then scale down the boiler - maybe the drivers wouldn't seem undersized then. What's the best you could do, as-is?
W. H.
railbus2

Previous

Return to Buy, Sell, Trade