GANDTT

Re: GANDTT

Postby krokodil » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Bernd wrote:
krokodil wrote:
IMG_3811.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

My factory ruin is under construction:
Everything, including scale lumber is home made.

Very nice. :thumbup:

Are you saying you cut your own lumber to TT scale size? If you did, "WOW". :shock:
Now that's taking scratch building to another level. :thumbup:
Bernd

Yes I did, because my last resources from USA are gone, and here it is not that simple to get scale lumber. I just talked last week with an Italian modelship builder, he promised me some scale lumber (walnut etc). I will see what I get. Until that I cut my lumber myself from balsawood. It will be ideal for this project as it should be some ruin of the building, ie I will brake the construction to demonstrate the demolition.

The available model lumber is too thick for TT scale.I will need some 0.5x1.5 mm or similar lumber.
I have some veneer from my friend who is doing historical furniture renovation, but this material is still not optimal for TT. It is about 0.8 mm thin but is extremely difficult to cut in lumber size. I just made some motorized fine sander and will test if I can sand the wider lumber to scale (1.5-2,5 mm). The narrowest piece what I can cut from this veneer is 5 mm.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby krokodil » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:31 pm

IMG_3812.JPG
Scale lumber

This is the material.I will try to make the scale lumber on the sander.

On the bottom there is the original veneer, above between the clamps is already the cut lumber cca 4mm wide. I glued the ends together ( 10-16 sheet). Tomorrow I will try to sand them down to 1.5-2 mm width.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Bernd » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:51 pm

krokodil wrote:
IMG_3812.JPG

This is the material.I will try to make the scale lumber on the sander.

On the bottom there is the original veneer, above between the clamps is already the cut lumber cca 4mm wide. I glued the ends together ( 10-16 sheet). Tomorrow I will try to sand them down to 1.5-2 mm width.

WOW, lots of work to just get what you want. The lumber I'm using for the frame of the engine house is HO scale 8" X 8" or 3/32" X 3/32" (2.33mm X 2.33mm) this is close to TT scale 12" X 12" (2.54mm X 2.54mm) The size is close enough for me. There are three producers of scale lumber here, two in the US and one in Canada. The two in the US are Kappler Scale Lumber and Northeastern Scale Lumber. The one in Canada is Fast Tracks. They took over Mt Albert Scale Lumber. I believe all three will send over seas.

http://www.kapplerusa.com/y2k/kp-main.htm Kappler Scale Lumber

https://www.northeasternscalelumber.com/ Northeastern Scale Lumber

https://www.handlaidtrack.com/scalelumber Fast Tracks/Mt Albert Scale Lumber

Bernd
Bernd

Postby krokodil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:42 am

pic 22.jpg
Nelly's gun

pic 21.jpg
St.Paper

pic 15.jpg
Venice

pic 09.jpg
Laundry

Hi Bernd

Thank you for you kind help. I think my lumber was from Northeastern. I will check what they have now. 2x2 lumber is sometimes available in modelshops ( not that often as many years ago when many people were building airplanes and model ships. Unfortunately also those hobbies are declining or changing the technology), but for TT we need very fine materials.
Above are some buildings from my US logging railroad in H0. All buildings are my own design and all are made from scale lumber, wood sheets and paper.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby krokodil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:13 am

Here is my motorized sander:

motorsander-t3317.html
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Bernd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:00 am

Great looking buildings. I really like the St Paper and Venice. Nice job.

Any chance of getting a picture of your drive system on the Climax engine. (bottom view) Would like to see how you designed the gear drive.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby krokodil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:04 am

IMG_3819.JPG
Climax gear

The wheels are driven with very simple worm gears on each axle like the very old Zeuke technology.
The motor is a small Mabuchi with flywheel and a gear reduction 1:3.
On this axle is a Grandt Line Heisler gear driving the steam engines on the sides. On the end of this axle there are the universals to the bogies.
The front bogie is not driven, the universal is missing from the picture. I need to make a new one the old was short by about .5 mm and it tend to fall out.
Last edited by krokodil on Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Bernd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:57 am

krokodil wrote:
IMG_3819.JPG

The wheels are driven with very simple worm gears on each axle like the very old Zeuke technology.
The motor is a small Mabuchi with flywheel and a gear reduction 1:3.
On this axle is a Grandt Line Heisler gear driving the steam engines on the sides. On the end of this axle there are the universals to the bogies.
The front bogie is not driven, the universal is missing from the picture. I need to make a new one the old was short by about .5 mm and it tend to fall out.

Thanks for the picture. Is it HO or TT scale?

I want to build a Class A Climax and have the same idea about the drive to the trucks. There is no cross axle on a Class A so it would be simpler to build the drive mechanism.

I bought this Climax Class A this summer. It's an early model of the Class A's with a vertical boiler. I want to build one with a horizontal boiler. It's much easier to hid the motor and drive train. This is an HOn3 scale.

I can't find a picture of the one I want to build. When I find it I'll post the picture.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:10 pm

Found what I was looking for.

This is the prototype engine.

These are drawings from an old large scale model magazine.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby krokodil » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Hi Bernd

My Climax is a H0 engine, however it is very small, slightly bigger than the TT locomotives. Originally it was a narrow gauge engine, but my logging railroad is a standard gauge, therefore I modified it to standard gauge, ( like the would do it in the factory). When I built it there was almost no internet, just the first e-mails started to work, so I had to purchase the drawing from a guy in Nevada.

I have similar Climaxes from MDC. One is working quite well, the second one was one of the latest models of MDC and the new motor is very weak. So this locomotive does not work very well.

Who made your Class A engine?

Do you know this web: http://www.gearedsteam.com

There is many useful information.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans