G31 gon and clones (a thread for Rob M's gon project)

Re: G31 gon and clones (a thread for Rob M's gon project)

Postby Richard-B » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Marquette wrote:But like you said, never say never: the Potlatch Lumber Co. of Idaho had many freight cars with arch bar trucks that were at home on the Washington Idaho & Montana RR but were interchanged onto the Northern Pacific and I think also the Milwaukee and UP...

Agree: There is ALWAYS an edge case... (hence never NEVER!)

In the instances cited the archbar equipped cars were not in general interchange service, as these were home-road agreements between a Class-I RR and a customer-operated/owned railroad.

This same principle (use on home-road only) is what allowed maintenance-of-way cars to keep their archbars far into the modern era...
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Marquette » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Actually the second case, of the one in Louisiana, was a Class I and a local shortline (but not a customer-o/o road). But yeah, in both cases it was based on agreements between the involved parties.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:07 am

if GC ever do another truck, i wonder if it should be an archbar. the peresvet is 6', and i think is a bit oversized for US ones.

the only archbar that scales to 5'6" (typcial archbar wheelbase, AFAIK) is one done by precision scale co and it is not cheap.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:16 am

I would say to that, no. Not at all. Pre-1940 is a small niche within the small niche that is TT. There are a plethora of trucks they could do that lasted far beyond or were made after the ban on arch bar trucks. If GC were to make (an)other truck(s), I'd say what they have to choose is another truck that was used under the 1937 car or under the reefer announced to come...
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:41 am

PVM did two, a roller bearing truck about 5'11" in wb and their version of the one GC currently do.

For whatever reason, and it certainly isn't about proto accuracy, people seem to see the 'alternative' to a cast freight truck being an archbar.

Seems odd, but i suppose it just looks different enough to give some variety, whereas for most folk, a cast freight truck is a cast freight truck.
scaro

Postby j p » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:59 am

scaro wrote:if GC ever do another truck, i wonder if it should be an archbar. the peresvet is 6', and i think is a bit oversized for US ones.

the only archbar that scales to 5'6" (typcial archbar wheelbase, AFAIK) is one done by precision scale co and it is not cheap.

No.
You can use Kemtron archbar trucks, they are quite good. I have got even two different types and one more type of archbar trucks with leaf springs for cabooses! And there might be more.
I can add them to my list of future resin copies if Kemtron trucks are not available anymore, but the 6-wheel truck for passenger cars has a higher priority. The market for them is so small that the resin casting might be the only suitable technology besides 3D-print.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby scaro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:56 am

certainly post some pictures. i've do not think i've seen the kemtron archbars. i do not think they would not be available now.

aside from the peresvet, the only archbar i've seen that was sold as TT, was a rather short HOn3 one (3'7" in HO) that was the wrong shape and only 5' in TT. it has been cast in brass and in white metal over the years.

you can see it (and a 6-wheel passenger car truck) here:

http://ttmodels.co.uk/usa/index.php?mai ... sb760qbad0

i ordered a couple of sets of the 6 wheel ones and they were OK.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:05 am

scaro wrote:Seems odd, but i suppose it just looks different enough to give some variety, whereas for most folk, a cast freight truck is a cast freight truck.

That's what I'm trying to encourage people *away* from. If you're going to do it, why not do it as accurately as possible?

There are some cast trucks that are immediately obviously different if one takes 2 seconds to compare them at a glance...

6 years ago I didn't know a GP9 from a caboose, and now I know a little better. All it takes is looking...
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:58 am

remember in my meanderings i also tend to think with an 'outside the US' hat on ... archbars were used in my home state of tasmania till 1988, as one example.

but it is interesting that in N scale, an archbar was about the second truck done, and it was plain wrong for most of the wagons it was used on. go figure. i think a lot of folk used to think 'steam era = archbar' although i agree with you, it's nonsense.
scaro

Postby Arseny » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:38 am

Finally, I've assembled my gondolas and asked my friend J.R. to paint them:
(we used decals from Jerry Glow - Jakob told me they are excellent, much better than Greg Komar's ones):

Rob, they are nice! Thank you!
(But a little bit long for me... :wink: )

Hope you'll produce some more cars in TT!
(But, please, suitable for the 1950s :pray: )

Missouri Pacific version:

IMG_6234.jpg
IMG_6235.jpg
IMG_6237.jpg
IMG_6238.jpg
Last edited by Arseny on Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Arseny

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models