FreeLance Caboose Build

Re: FreeLance Caboose Build

Postby ConnRiver » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:44 pm

Bernd,

Good thing you like questions, because I've got more!

1 - Often, I create rivets (Sherline CNC, too) by:
a) drilling rivet-pattern holes in a plastic sheet underlayment
b) fixing the model/pattern material to the plastic with 3M #665 double-sided tape
c) drilling holes in the pattern material within a few thousandths of cutting all the way through
d) with the spindle off, press a probe into the hole so that the impression is formed in the underlayment holes

I'll look, but maybe you have an idea about acquiring different-sized probes (I'm thinking of the scriber as a probe, but maybe the end is too sharp?) to create varying-sized rivets? I've got a benchtop grinder, but I've never used it.

2 - With your machining experience, I've got to ask, are you concerned about metal particles dropping onto your Sherline's Y-axis lead screw? I've found an accordion pattern online and have folded up a couple to attach to each side of the mill table. Maybe it's not worth the bother? I'll upload a photo of them, only if you're interested, though.

(I've been learning Fusion 360 software and have begun 3D drawing an injection milling machine. I've never cut metal on my Sherline, but looks like I'm going to have to tackle that pretty soon. If you're willing, I'd like to ask you some speed/rate milling questions when the time comes.)

3 - When I create seams, I use either a small end mill (got 'em down to .005" diameter) or sometimes a pyramid cutter. Is there an advantage to using a scriber in this situation, or is it six of one and a half-dozen of another?

Thanks much,

Brian
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Re: FreeLance Caboose Build

Postby Bernd » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:20 am

ConnRiver wrote:Bernd, Good thing you like questions, because I've got more!

I'll try and give you the best answer I have to your questions. I'll take this conversation to an appropriate section for discussion. That way this thread wouldn't get jumbled with metal working content that doesn't pertain to the caboose build.

Brian, I have started a new thread here to discuss machining techniques: http://www.ttnut.com/machining-techniques-t2935.html

Bernd.
Bernd

Previous

Return to Builders' Corner