FP 45

FP 45

Postby Shipsure » Tue May 06, 2014 12:26 pm

Hi, I was going through some old drawings and I have the beginings of art for a photo etched FP 45 and noticed a SD 45 Brass kit was introduced a few years ago. What was used for the chassis? It would take much to get some test etchings done for this engine, but I want to be sure there's something we can put under it.

Thanks

Joe
Shipsure

Re: FP 45

Postby Arseny » Tue May 06, 2014 12:57 pm

It was made by Russian company "Norkin-Model"
Tillig's NOHAB model was supposed to use as chassis, although NOHAB was a little bit shorter than necessary, so you need to make some inset to be absolutely accurate. Also Norkin did not make truck sideframes.
Arseny

Postby areibel » Tue May 06, 2014 1:28 pm

Hi Joe,
The German company Lok N Roll made a powered chassis for the SD, I think one of our German members can provide more info- Taxari, are you listening? :thumbup: The FP would have more interior room so there are bigger motors that will easily fit, and there are some Tillig trucks that are very very close in wheelbase (BR120 I think?), but the sideframes are wrong. You might be able to get everthing needed from the Tillig loco and do a flat chassis with extended drive shafts. I'm not up on the current Tillig offerings but I think they're all DCC compatible if not DCC ready (or equipped).
The sideframes are something still missing in TT, there have been a couple guys that started on it but a nice Flexicoil would help out a lot!
Al Reibel
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Tue May 06, 2014 2:10 pm

I think Rob M could come up with something for that his E7 looks great its got to be similar
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Tue May 06, 2014 2:11 pm

MMM Sorry Rob I got excited and didn't mean to volunteer you
richardedmonds

Postby Shipsure » Tue May 06, 2014 2:26 pm

What I am thinking is making a RP chassis out of Metal via Shapeways that will fit a standard Atlas Motor with twin flywheels, universal coupling and ABS RP gear tower that fits the gear components from an Atlas 6 wheeled truck. For the main axle I was thinking square rod stock with turned ends for the wheel hubs. The square axle will allow for some nifty main gears I found that have a square hole in the center and no slippage was found of course. I figure if I design it so you can get off the shelf components and with a little investment in time can assemble a reliable chassis that has a lot of heft.

Joe
Shipsure

Postby richardedmonds » Tue May 06, 2014 3:05 pm

interesting Joe I will be following your progress closely
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Wed May 07, 2014 2:50 am

hullo joe and all

yeah, Tillig BR120 is 17.5mm + 17.5mm, closest we go to the standard EMD SD wheelbase of 6'9 1/2" + 6' 9 1/2". not sure why Norkin opted to use the NOHAB which has the 'export' GM axle spacing, about 4" shorter.

if anyone is thinking of using the Tillig BR120, be careful which BR120 you get, as the mechanism changed, and the one I got could not be used for an SD40, SD45, F45.

i got an early one which doesn't look like the one we have pictures of on this site. i am told it is a non standard design for Tillig. mine had integral shaft/flywheel/worms milled out of hefty bits of brass stock and is about impossible to remove from the motor. detaching the motor from the PCB board looks like a chore. as i recall it needs to be detached and mounted on its side to contemplate using it in a hood loco.

i think one truck could be rotated to give the right wheelbase for an SD35. so it's sitting in the box of bits as it may be possible to make something of it. the plastic frame, which holds the trucks and snaps into a metal 'cowl' weight from underneath , and which would have to be used as the chassis for any hood loco, is a bit flimsy.

EMD C- trucks are one of those things where I'd thought axle extensions on N trucks might work as a 9' N truck (17.5mm wb) is essentially half a TT scale SD truck. that is if people are happy with a truck with two powered axles and a dummy.

regards, ben
scaro

Postby Shipsure » Wed May 07, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for the info. I've been messing with my laser and I think, using layers of plexi glass I can make a gear tower and even gears. I've done this before and I see no reason why custom cutting may solve some problems.

Joe
Shipsure

Return to Prototypes / Models