Four wheeled boxcab?

Four wheeled boxcab?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:33 pm

I recently bought a 4 wheeled chassis that was originally HO scale, but was cut down and re-gauged to TT scale. I think that it would be a good base for a boxcab of generic design.

I am trying to decide if I want to build an oil-electric boxcab or an electric boxcab. Any thoughts as to which way to go?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Four wheeled boxcab?

Postby Bernd » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:58 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:I am trying to decide if I want to build an oil-electric boxcab or an electric boxcab. Any thoughts as to which way to go?

Here are two types of HOn30 (HO scale 30" gauge) engines I scratch-built on N scale power chassis'. I would say the size is close to TT scale. The first picture is one of four I built for my quarry scene. The second picture is a set I build for a tribute to a fallen modeler on an other forum.

This one is for my lime stone quarry scene. Built on an N scale 4 wheel power chassis.

These are built on N scale DD40 power trucks. Both are powered and semi-permanently coupled together.

Hope they give you some inspiration on designing and building something.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:13 am

Bernd wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:I am trying to decide if I want to build an oil-electric boxcab or an electric boxcab. Any thoughts as to which way to go?

Here are two types of HOn30 (HO scale 30" gauge) engines I scratch-built on N scale power chassis'. I would say the size is close to TT scale. The first picture is one of four I built for my quarry scene. The second picture is a set I build for a tribute to a fallen modeler on an other forum.

This one is for my lime stone quarry scene. Built on an N scale 4 wheel power chassis.

These are built on N scale DD40 power trucks. Both are powered and semi-permanently coupled together.

Hope they give you some inspiration on designing and building something.

Bernd

Those are definitely inspiring alright.

I think I will try my hand at an Oil-Electric boxcab, with a coupler on one end, and a drawbar on the other to permanently couple it to a pick-up car, to help with the entire problem of "0-4-0 syndrome".
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:58 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:I think I will try my hand at an Oil-Electric boxcab, with a coupler on one end, and a drawbar on the other to permanently couple it to a pick-up car, to help with the entire problem of "0-4-0 syndrome".

Sounds great. Here's an idea. Make two box cabs like I did and make one powered and the other can either be a dummy or powered. Would solve the "0-4-0" problem real easy.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:14 pm

Bernd wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:I think I will try my hand at an Oil-Electric boxcab, with a coupler on one end, and a drawbar on the other to permanently couple it to a pick-up car, to help with the entire problem of "0-4-0 syndrome".

Sounds great. Here's an idea. Make two box cabs like I did and make one powered and the other can either be a dummy or powered. Would solve the "0-4-0" problem real easy.

Bernd

If I had a second chassis to convert and have work like that, I would.
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:45 am

AstroGoat760 wrote:If I had a second chassis to convert and have work like that, I would.

Who made the HO chassis? Got a picture of the chassis? Maybe I can help out with ideas for a similar conversion.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:44 pm

Bernd wrote:
AstroGoat760 wrote:If I had a second chassis to convert and have work like that, I would.

Who made the HO chassis? Got a picture of the chassis? Maybe I can help out with ideas for a similar conversion.

Bernd

I believe that the chassis was made by Athearn.
AstroGoat760

Postby areibel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:04 pm

Is that the regauged Athearn Hustler chassis that was on Ebay? I wondered how that would work out but I figured it would be pretty wide overall, like it was intended to be a 42 inch gauge HO model
areibel

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:27 pm

areibel wrote:Is that the regauged Athearn Hustler chassis that was on Ebay? I wondered how that would work out but I figured it would be pretty wide overall, like it was intended to be a 42 inch gauge HO model

It is indeed. It runs pretty well on my test layout.
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:21 pm

This be the little guy you got?

I've got one sitting on the "What am I going to do with it" shelf. Now I know.

Bernd
Bernd

Next

Return to General Discussion