For my 3MM friends!

For my 3MM friends!

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:36 pm

I have a question-
I bought this loco on Ebay, it is TT gauge but must be 3MM scale (the drivers would be almost 8 feet dia. in TT, they're about 6 1/2 in 3MM) Can anyone Identify it? I partially assembled it with a couple dabs of ACC so maybe it would be easier to identify. It's a 4-4-0, with a 3 axle tender. It's missing some parts, and I'm not sure where some go so I'd like to find an assembly sheet and maybe the rest of the parts if they're available?
Thanks!
Al

areibel

Re: For my 3MM friends!

Postby richardedmonds » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi Al
Its a GEM George the V class and appears to be missing a few parts
richardedmonds

Postby areibel » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:07 pm

Thanks Richard!
It is missing several parts- all of the drive, the main rods and the steam chest, etc..
Is it a long gone impossible to find kit, or will I have a chance of scrounging the parts to get it together?
Al
areibel

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 pm

I have the exact same kit, except that I bought it new. The connecting rods were made of whitemetal and as such wore out fast, and bent easily. It is indeed a GEM King George V Class kit.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:45 pm

We have the instructions for the loco, but they are still in storage in Tallapoosa, GA. If you can wait a couple of months, we can get them dug out and scanned in for you. There really isn't much to the kit, aside from soldering or gluing the white metal parts together and then finding a motor to fit the locomotive, as the kit did not include a motor. If memory serves, a variant of the XT60 motor will suffice.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:50 pm

areibel wrote:Thanks Richard!
It is missing several parts- all of the drive, the main rods and the steam chest, etc..
Is it a long gone impossible to find kit, or will I have a chance of scrounging the parts to get it together?
Al

Aside from buffer beams and screws, the only missing parts from the kit are the connecting rods and the pins used to fasten them to the drivers. The King George V class had inside cylinders, much like most British steam (and also prevalent on early US steam as well), to accommodate the relatively narrow loading gauge in use.
AstroGoat760

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Here is a link to some photos of the 4-4-0 kit along with instructions for it:
gem-models-t148-10.html
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:08 am

CaTTwoman281 wrote:Here is a link to some photos of the 4-4-0 kit along with instructions for it:
gem-models-t148-10.html

Well, in that case, the wait is over for the scanned instructions.
AstroGoat760

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 am

areibel wrote:Thanks Richard!
Al

This isn't particularly rare and they do come up on ebay. But to be honest the only real possibility is posting on the 3mm society site where someone will have the bits needed.
That said there isnt that much missing and as CaTTwoman said the rods are near useless anyway and you need to make your own from brass or nickel silver and it appears the steps are missing as well. The Ks mark two motor is rare now so would suggest just to make a simple chassis and gearbox from 3smr here in UK. One of the open framed 10/16 japanese motors will work great in that loco
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:34 am

for this kind of job, yes, you'd do well to become a 3mm society member. doesn't cost very much and it would probably be quite straightforward to get a few bits from them for a chassis.

you get the added advantage of a very active yahoo forum where the chassis questions have all been gone through before, particularly the steam ones.
scaro

Return to Prototypes / Models