Fixing pot metal castings -Tillig BR01

Fixing pot metal castings -Tillig BR01

Postby dileTTante » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:11 pm

Does anyone have experience with pot metal castings? I bought a Tillig BR 01 for parts but it looked almost repairable. The valve gear was wonky and the driver wheels jammed. I think the main casting was slightly bent. When I pried out the centre driver wheels the casting broke. Bummer. Solder doesn't take to the pot metal. I've glued it together with krazy glue and so far it's holding, but I expect it to fail eventually, maybe even before I get the loco back together. So in advance of the breakdown, if anyone has an orphan Tillig BR01 headed for the scrapyard, please let me know.
dileTTante

Re: Fixing pot metal castings -Tillig BR01

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:49 pm

JB Weld worked for me for the frame itself, but I also had the dive rod guide frame that broke off from the main frame, I attached it slightly in the wrong place (too much forward, by 0.2mm or so), making the wheels bind. As the frame was broken in 3 places and the paint loss was significant as well, I was not too upset by messing up the gluing job. Actually, I did it more for practice, after I already added the complete replacement frame from MBW24 with to recent order (Tillig #223430 (Hauptrahmen), cost EUR 6.39). Frame replacement takes a bit of time, but is pretty straightforward.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby dileTTante » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:07 am

Thanks very much for this information. It's great news that spare parts are available.
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Help, please. BTTB Fan said replacement frame for Tillig BR 01 was available from Modellbahnwelt-24. I have bought things from them. I want to buy parts but can't find them on the web site. I found a list of Tillig parts at Modellbahnshop -Sebnitz, but after I placed an order there was no way to pay them. I was expecting to use a credit card. So I'd like to know how to find parts at MBW24, or how to pay MBS -Sebnitz, or whether I can ask them about it in English.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:03 am

Forget MBS. I've tried to contact them several times and never got a response. I would contact either George at ETH or MBW24 with the part numbers you got from MBS (they are correct).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 am

Re: MBS - I came across the same thing, too. But it turns out, despite the suggestion that you can pay by credit card, as per the invoice they send, you can only pay by bank transfer - which is retardedly expensive from Canada to Europe. So I'm not going to bother, I'll just ask George at ETH...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:32 am

DileTTante, don't worry about finding the parts on the website. They don't list them. Just sent them an email with the part number (they speak english). The Sebnitz store only ships within Germany and does not respond to emails.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby dileTTante » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:51 am

Thanks, guys. It's what I needed to know. It didn't appear likely that the shop in Sebnitz sent to N. America. I looked there because anotherTTnut mentioned the catalog of new models. If it weren't for them I wouldn't know the part numbers. I've begun preparing my old Tillig pals for installing decoders. First is the BTTB BR 86 which will be a tight fit. I got the metal weight out of the back end of the body and hope to put the decoder there. Took out the ugly fibre optics to the headlamps long ago and hope to put in LEDs.
dileTTante

Postby The Fish » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:13 am

have a look at Artur Schwartz web site.
http://as.rumia.edu.pl/tt/kat/parts.asp?g=Till&k=2000
I think Artur is a member of this group
The Fish

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:27 am

CSD wrote:DileTTante, don't worry about finding the parts on the website. They don't list them. Just sent them an email with the part number (they speak english). The Sebnitz store only ships within Germany and does not respond to emails.

Yeah, what CSD said - you can e-mail MBW24 (or use the Contact form on the web site) to check availability and price for the parts, then, either place an order through e-mail, or if you are also buying something that is listed onthe Web site, place the order there and list the extra parts in the "Comments" field. You will get an invoice with total amount in the e-mail, and you can pay through PayPal. For correspondence, I used Google translator, but I think you can right in English and let them use Google translator instead :wink: The guy there, Roberto Albert, was great - prompt, patient, and courteous.

My first choice would always be George at ETH, but it does take a while to get the parts through him.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models