Fixed

Re: Fixed

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon May 14, 2012 12:30 am

Rob M wrote:So basically they wouldn't normally run something like a 4-8-4 Northern on narrow gauge, just smaller stuff like an 0-6-0?

It depends on where the railroad is. In North America there were few large engines on the narrow gauge.
In other parts of the world however - South Africa ran some large steam on their narrow gauge. Brazil runs retrucked SD40-2s on their meter gauge railways. They remove the three axle truck under each end and substitute a pair of two axle trucks on a span bolster.

Rob M wrote:If that's the case how would one know what sizes to use for a scale size chart? My plan was to start with G scale at ~500 pixels high and then scale the others down from there.

Scale the images for standard gauge for each scale first, then make the narrow gauge images at about 75% the size of standard gauge. That should get you close enough.

Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Rob M » Tue May 15, 2012 4:11 pm

I left the track width off since this is more for just comparing sizes (and I'm lazy). Used my HP Mikado for the loco :thumbup:

Full size link (3152 x 936, 484Kb)
http://cabinetplanner.com/images/Train_Scales.jpeg
Rob M

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed May 16, 2012 2:54 am

Rob M wrote:I left the track width off since this is more for just comparing sizes (and I'm lazy). Used my HP Mikado for the loco :thumbup:

Full size link (3152 x 936, 484Kb)
http://cabinetplanner.com/images/Train_Scales.jpeg

You still have HOn3 as 5/8" track gauge when it is actually 10.5mm or about 13/32.

Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Arseny » Wed May 16, 2012 3:05 am

Bill Dixon wrote:You still have HOn3 as 5/8" track gauge when it is actually 10.5mm or about 13/32.

???
I see 10.5 mm for HOn3 on the picture...
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Wed May 16, 2012 3:25 am

Arseny wrote:
Bill Dixon wrote:You still have HOn3 as 5/8" track gauge when it is actually 10.5mm or about 13/32.

???
I see 10.5 mm for HOn3 on the picture...

Cleared my cache and now see a different picture with only the scales an loco images, no gauges.

Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby scaro » Wed May 16, 2012 6:55 am

i think the gauges would be better rendered in mm as that's what most of them, particuarly the smaller ones down the TT end of the spectrum, were initially calculated in.

i am not sure the 2mm (1:152) comparison is much use. american modellers are probably never going to come across 2mm models. 2mm is a kit and scratchbuilders scale almost entirely used in the UK ... for modelling british trains. there's nothing RTR offered. i would suggest a more useful comparison - in terms of what people are likely to come across in hobby shops or stores online - is 'British N' or 1:148, that is 2.06mm/ft. that is the 'commercial' N scale in the UK and the biggest manufacturer in it, graham farish, is of course owned by bachmann.

the H0 vs H0n3 comparison also gives a wrong impression. if the purpose of that diagram is to enable a comparison of what the scales look like by reference to one particular locomotive, the mikado pictured, then that loco is going to look exactly the same in H0 as H0n3.

in practice of course, H0n3 does look more like TT, but that's not because of any scale difference, but because most 3' gauge trains were small in real life.

this is the same reason why, despite scale variations, models of british 3mm/ft trains are the same actual size as american 2.54mm/ft ones ... or my 'TT-113 'boxvans, for that matter ... the size of the real thing varies.

i'd take out H0n3 or use a different image to draw attention to the fact that you're making a different sort of comparison ... the loco you are picturing wasn't used on american 3' lines in any event.

i agree, however, that H0n3 or indeed H0n30 comparisons are worthwhile ones to make for TT purposes, as modellers could adapt kits and parts from those scales to use in TT. for example, chivers finelines H0n30 28' boxcars scale to 38'6" in TT ... which isn't bad.

further, if anyone looks at the gauge of your mikado in that picture, it's going to look like the HOn3 one is a broader gauge than the TT one even though the reverse is the case.
scaro

Postby scaro » Wed May 16, 2012 12:11 pm

Rob M wrote:So basically they wouldn't normally run something like a 4-8-4 Northern on narrow gauge, just smaller stuff like an 0-6-0?

no, not at all ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NZR_K_class_(1932)

... the NZ examples were about 75% the size of US ones, designed for 42" track.
scaro

Postby Rob M » Thu May 17, 2012 11:06 am

Well, in looking at the photo and how I scaled the locos, it isn't correct anyway. O isn't about 1/3 the size of G :doh: (I need to remove the track and white space above the engine when scaling the images)

So, what scales should I remove or add? Remove the n3's & 2mm and keep the rest?
Rob M

Postby scaro » Thu May 17, 2012 4:23 pm

i'd add 1:148 as the british N scale is that scale. not much difference from 2mm of course. you might add 3mm as a lot of triang and other 3mm stuff is out there and TTers do come across it. i'll be seeing a lot of it this weekend as we have the 3mm society AGM in bristol. i'll take my camera in case any interesting 1:120 stuff surfaces.
scaro

Postby Rob M » Thu May 17, 2012 4:35 pm

3mm is already there.
Rob M

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion