Fishbelly-side ribside twin hopper (PVM, CER)

Fishbelly-side ribside twin hopper (PVM, CER)

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 am

Here's the model in question:

(Photo from the ttscale.com website)

Of course, the model above is lettered wrong - the Pennsy never operated cars of this design.

The following railroads did, however:

Central RR of New Jersey 67000-67999
CNJ 67450.jpg

Delaware & Hudson 2301-2399
D&H 2334.jpg

Delaware & Hudson 4701-6100
D&H 5737.jpg

Lehigh Valley 25000-25499
LV 25000.jpg

Lehigh Valley 25500-25939
LV 25632.jpg
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Re: Fishbelly-side ribside twin hopper (PVM, CER)

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:05 am

More:

Reading 80000-80999
RDG 80326.jpg

Western Maryland 10001-10800
WM 10800.jpg

WM 10453.jpg

During WW2 the WM modified some of their 10001-10800 series hoppers into covered hoppers. It's not known how long they lasted like this, but most likely not very long after WW2 (when they could freely get new-built cars).

So that's all that I have on these cars. If the Pennsy or Norfolk & Western did indeed operate cars of this design, I've found no evidence of it; I have class diagrams for all the Pennsy hopper types, and photos of every type of hopper the N&W operated between 1942 and 1953, and none of them match this design.

It's possible that some private owners operated cars of this design. I'll look into this later today, after work.
Marquette

Postby scaro » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 pm

thanks. looks like the combination of both hoppers (this and the ex-kemtron offset one ) would enable you to model the anthracite region effectively- but not many other places.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:32 pm

The ex-Kemtron offset-side hopper is actually a good model to have - there's a reasonable number of cars it matches exactly or quite closely, and a quite a few others if you're willing to overlook some minorish details... there'll be a survey of those forthcoming, too.
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:11 pm

seems the original norfolk southern also owned these cars, whether they bought them new or 2ndhand i don't know, but for anyone who cares, there are two shots on the NS Yahoo group, in the album 'web shots' in the photos section. fairly classy livery too ...
ben
scaro

Postby scaro » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:40 am

ACL had these particular fishbelly hoppers as well, including a version with peaked ends. they were bashed for phosphate service as well, and violently so:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2470415

... though i believe were bought for coal. reputable HO manf'rs - ie the ones who offer repaints only of things that actually existed- don't offer these hoppers in any schemes outside the NE apart from NS and ACL. i think ACL picked up theirs new.
scaro

Postby Arseny » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:46 am

I am sorry, but why it is named "fishbelly-side"? Why "fishbelly"?
Does it mean a belly, a tummy of a fish? If yes - why?

Also I know that "fishbelly" means a slang name for a white/Caucasian person... Does it mean this sense? If yes - why? This car is not white... :)
Arseny

Postby scaro » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:59 am

i think the idea was that the side and centre sills of such cars were the shape of a fish, though i admit i can't see the resemblance.
scaro

Postby railtwister » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:47 am

scaro wrote:i think the idea was that the side and centre sills of such cars were the shape of a fish, though i admit i can't see the resemblance.

If you look at the side profile of a typical fish, a line drawn along it's bottom edge would be higher at the ends (mouth and tail). and would droop down at the center (area of the fish's belly). A similar line drawn along the bottom edge of the hopper car (or bottom of any car referred to as "fish belly") would have the same basic shape.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:23 am

Arseny wrote:Also I know that "fishbelly" means a slang name for a white/Caucasian person...

I've never heard that but I think it's hilarious (and I'm a white/Caucasian person) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models