finer scale wheels

finer scale wheels

Postby scaro » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:01 am

sounds like most TTers need a good quality 33" wagon wheel. this is probably the best i came across, it's from the 2mm Association and is 7mm diameter, designed for a 1mm axle and although it's N scale, it is designed for a finer tolerance than is common in british N. it's in one of alex's older barber trucks. plastic centred, metal tyre. i imagine it is made in the UK.

though designed for a 1mm axle it may be possible to have it mounted on axles that are wider and just narrowed to 1mm at the ends.

2mm Association fine scale N 7mm dia wheel 006.jpg

2mm Association fine scale N 7mm dia wheel 001 cropped.jpg

2mm Association fine scale N 7mm dia wheel 003.jpg

ben
scaro

Re: finer scale wheels

Postby Marquette » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:05 am

The issue with all of this: will it work with standard track? Or do you have to lay it, to ensure it'll work with the wheels?
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:42 pm

What he said ^^
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:43 pm

Especially regarding TT, what is "standard" track, or more importantly "standard" switches? Simply reducing the flange depth a small amount, especially if they are pizza cutters, shouldn't adversely affect operation on existing tracks, but if you reduce the width of the flange and/or the width of the wheel tread, then you'll need to make adjustments in the affected track dimensions and flangeways.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:58 pm

"Standard" being what's readily available - Tillig and soon Kuehn.
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:03 pm

they are code 72 wheels, rather like the old HP ones. that is in compliance with the NRMA 'Fine TT' standard. similar flange depth to HP but a little finer.

flange width is .0018" whereas the HP wheel is .0028". that's the main difference. i am not sure whether that makes them too fine to work on standard tillig track? but the NRMA Fine TT standard says a .0020" wide flange, so not far off?

the issue is i guess whether the Fine TT standards are compatible with NEM. that i don't know.
scaro

Postby Tom Dempsey » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:10 pm

If Proto 87 experience is meaningful, then there will be not problem with properly gauged track until the wheel reached a frog flangeway, then there will be a derailment. Tom Dempsey
Tom Dempsey

Postby scaro » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 pm

sadly, you're probably right. i guess it's a case of waiting till someone comes up with something better looking in german TT, as i imagine they are not fond of building track but would like better wheels too.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:05 pm

Keep waiting......Kuehn's new track is better than Tillig's but ultimately there won't be a big change any time soon. It's not that they don't want to do it - they just don't want to make all the BTTB stock people have become unusable.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:30 am

the thing is that with all the replacement wheels offered by modmueller i doubt there would be many still using old BTTB wheels, would there?

the main issue is flange depth, at least visually, and that could be altered without too much effect on the track. the other issues - overwide treads and flanges - are not so much of an issue and able to be remedied visually by using blackened wheels or other cosmetic fixes.

my move to 1:113 negates my concerns at least, which is a load off my mind.

total blue sky thinking, but i wonder if eventually a cohort of US modellers will join the 3mm Society and start agitating for 33" and 36" wheels? they already offer the finescale standards for 12mm gauge, they just don't sell the right wheels, at this point, but that's hardly a huge hurdle. there's already been a 1:120 33" plastic wheel done by one of their wheelmakers. wasn't bad but i guess metal is what most people want.
scaro

Next

Return to General Discussion