finer scale wheels

Re: finer scale wheels

Postby scaro » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:36 am

just a thought.

i put my new 8mm finescale 3mm society wheels into the gold coast trucks and alex's dalman trucks last night. while the calipers say they are 0.38mm oversize for US 36" wheels, they look fantastic. as south australian wagon wheels are 3 0 1/2" to 3'1", it's even better ... i may not bother going to 1:113 after all. 1:120 but with 3mm finescale standards looks a workable compromise.

interesting, as i look through the 3mm finescale standards and TT-fine, the standards for wheels look very similar. quite encouraging.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Got pics?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:53 am

3mm Society wheels in ConducTTor & Gold Coast TT trucks 002.jpg

3mm Society 8mm dia finescale wheels in Gold Coast truck. for a 36" or 38" wheel they look pretty darn good. I'm kicking myself that I always wrote off the idea of 8mm wheels. They scale to marginally under 3'2" but given the south australian trucks are 3' 0 1/2" to 3'1" I think I'll get away with it.

3mm Society wheels in ConducTTor & Gold Coast TT trucks 004.jpg

3mm Society 8mm dia finescale wheels in your Barber truck. It's a biggish, more modern kind of truck so they look good here too, probably this type of truck would be more likely to have 36" wheels or above?

3mm Society wheels in ConducTTor & Gold Coast TT trucks 001.jpg

The 8mm wheels don't look so good in the Dalman truck, proportions are a bit off, a bit like a Microtrains truck in N scale ...

3mm Society wheels in ConducTTor & Gold Coast TT trucks 005.jpg

... but for the Dalman, the 2m Association 7mm wheel looks beaut. Best thing this side of NWSL, without the P87 issues. This wheel is the one I showed before and I think it should comply with the TT-Fine requirements.

i am noticing though, that this FUD material is quite brittle ... perhaps too much so for trucks. snapped two just in this little exercise of fitting wheels into them, and i'm trying to be gentle with them.
scaro

Postby scaro » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:37 am

3mm Society spoked & disc wheel in Gold Coast truck.jpg

... the sort of thing you didn't see in the US but it did occur in australia a lot, which is why finescale and spoked wheels are a bit of an issue.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60901191@N08/5760584443/
scaro

Postby scaro » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 pm

One handy tip with wheels.

I am reluctant to file them as inevitably, if you stick them in a dremel type tool, it is most likely that you will mill them so one side is thinner than the other.

There's an Australian made code 88 spoked wheel by Steam Era Models which scales to 3' for TT and I'd like to use it. I had thought I could not, but received the following advice from a skilled modeller:

SEM 7.6mm diameter wheels can be modified to run on P87 or 3mm finescale track without the use of a lathe. The method to use is: lay a sheet of 300 grit wet and dry on a flat surface. Remove the wheels from their axle. Rub the back of the wheel in a figure eight pattern on the sheet of wet and dry until you’ve removed enough of the back of the flange for the wheels to fit your standards (the figure eight pattern is important to ensure an even removal of material) . The final process is to fit a wheel on the axle and spin it in the Dremel (or power drill) and carefully use a file to smooth off the tip of the flange.

I am trying it tonight and it does seem to slowly thin the flange down so it complies with finescale requirements. Not awful fast but sufficient to do the flange. I hope someone finds the technique useful.

Ben
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:06 pm

I'd definitely do it. If I didn't have hundreds of wheels needing the treatment.....
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:20 pm

yes, it's more an option if you want a few pair of special wheels done, like my need for spoked wheels.

but someone may find it handy; i note on the german TT forum there are *long* threads re the lack of spoked wheels in TT - aside from large HOm ones which aren't awful nice.

this would be a useful way to get a decent spoked wheel for an older wagon.

what i hadn't appreciated with P87 and 3mm finescale was that the actual width of the wheel tread itself isn't the issue, it's the flange width and depth that's critical. the fact that the wheel remains a bit wider than the finescale disc wheels isn't so much of a problem.
scaro

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Wait till it warms up and stick them in my myford if you want. You will have to do it cos my skill isn't good enough though
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:20 am

richard, i'm probably worse. i modified mine on a handheld knock-off of a dremel tool.
scaro

Previous

Return to General Discussion