Fast Tracks and HP locos

Fast Tracks and HP locos

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:28 pm

Has anyone that has built any of the Fast Tracks turnouts tried them with HP products steamers?

The Tillig turnouts on my layout seem to be causing problems for a number of my locomotives, especially my HP steamers, also occasionally issues with my Lok-N-Roll Geeps, so I need an alternative to Tillig turnouts.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Fast Tracks and HP locos

Postby ctxmf74 » Mon May 23, 2016 5:45 pm

"The Tillig turnouts on my layout seem to be causing problems for a number of my locomotives"

Tillig and other Euro equipment have larger flanges than old HP stuff so ideally they should not be run together. I do build turnouts that work with both however. The trick is to make them a compromise design so they can handle the Tillig flanges while still working with HP flanges. The most important factors are frog flangeway depth and width and back to back distance if guard rails are added. I have no idea what design Fastracks uses but perhaps you could email them for the specs......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Tom Dempsey » Tue May 24, 2016 11:58 am

As has been discussed here before, all your flanges and flangeways have to match each other. HP flanges and Tillig flanges are, simply put, too far apart to be considered compatible. Chris at Fastracks has always built his jigs to NMRA standards and I suspect based on what I've seen come out of them that the TT Scale jigs are built to the current standard. HP flanges will operate on NMRA standard track, anything built to NEMA won't. It seems that the way to go would be for everyone to get with a common standard, i.e., the NMRA one. If your flanges don't match it, that's a fairly easy fix. If your track is NEMA standard, then everything run on it needs to be NEMA standard.
Tom Dempsey

Postby ctxmf74 » Tue May 24, 2016 1:52 pm

"It seems that the way to go would be for everyone to get with a common standard, i.e., the NMRA one. If your flanges don't match it, that's a fairly easy fix."

If Fox Valley or someone always stocks NMRA wheels suitable for Gold coast trucks then using the NMRA standards makes sense. In the past it's been hard to get suitable wheels for Gold coast trucks so that's why folks are having this turnout compatibility problem......DaveB
ctxmf74

Return to General Discussion