Family involvement with trains.

Talk about anything and everything!

Family involvement with trains.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 pm

I am kinda curious as to if others out here have their families involved with their model railroading and rail-fanning anywhere near the extent that my family is.

My wife has her favourite railroads, the Chessie System, and the Norfolk & Western that she tries to collect what she can.

My son loves trains, period. He loves going over to Essex, CT to see the steam train there, and quite literally crapped himself when he was given a tour of the cab of one of the locos that was in the midst of getting ready for departure. When he plays with his toy trucks, he tries to couple them up like a train, gives up and gets his toy trains out and tries to give his pet rat rides on the toy trains. He is 2 1/2 years old.

Many of our pets also take somewhat of an interest in trains. The aforementioned rat has a "second home" on our O-27 train layout, and will often climb aboard and peer his head out of the car he is in and go along for the ride.

When I was attached to the USS Annapolis (SSN-760), people would ask me what trains I had brought with for each underway. I took a 1947 Lionel 221 with me once, and during my off time, I worked on restoring it. When we are at sea, we are often allowed to wear regular ball caps, so I would end up on watch in the engine room with a different hat each day of the week. Sometimes while standing watch as reactor operator, I would wear an locomotive engineer's hat.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Family involvement with trains.

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:59 am

Family involvement? Just my uncle who got me started on trains when I was little. He lives in Bulgaria so interaction is all through email. Other than that, I'm slowly pulling my girlfriend in. She's mainly interested in helping with the scenery when it's time to do it and not so much with the trains themselves.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Family involvement with trains.

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:15 pm

I know that this is an old thread, but I am curious, especially with all the newcomers since this thread was started, that how many out there make model railroading a family activity?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to Off Topic