Fake traction tires

Fake traction tires

Postby dileTTante » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:22 pm

For replacement traction tires I tried heat shrink tubing. For a wheel diameter of 8mm, with recessed diameter 7.5mm for the tire, I used some black tubing, 12mm wide (1/2inch) when flat. Thin slices made rings which fit. I applied a little heat to tighten the rings to the wheels. Perhaps this wasn't effective, because I was afraid of damaging the plastic wheels and was very cautious with the heat.

The locomotive ran well during a brief test; the tires look like they belong there. A better test will be the running on the TT Tracks display this weekend.

Perhaps this idea has been tried by others - I haven't seen any mention of it. So I hope it proves helpful.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Re: Fake traction tires

Postby krokodil » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:22 am

I use also the same thing for my locomotives. I even built a special attachment to my lathe to cut those tubes. They are at least the same quality as the commercial ones however in princip I hate all tires and tired wheels. I am trying to replace all of them to standard ones if it is possible. The main problem is that they destroy the wheel geometry and create problems on switches etc.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Return to General Discussion