Did anybody try to use external sound system, such as MRC Symphony 77
http://www.modelrectifier.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=7614

or maybe Noch Sound System?

If yes, what is your impression?

I want to order it...
Arseny

Re: External sound system

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:39 pm

No, I do not have experience with these sound systems. But here are some guesses at possible things to try. The MRC system has small powered speakers. The sound will be small but bigger than from tiny speakers inside locomotives. You can get the same thing from any speaker system for computers, maybe cheaper, especially if bought second hand. Or you can use audio amplifier and bigger speakers.

The MRC page says the Symphony has 25 sounds. If they are not the sounds you want, what can you do?
Also, with MRC system you will have your hands full, one control for trains and another control for sound.

I searched on internet for 'steam loco sounds' and 'diesel loco sounds' and found many places with free MP3 samples. You could use a cheap portable MP3 player and feed the amplifier from the headphone jack. Or maybe just use a system which has speakers and a dock for taking MP3 player. If you have iPhone or iPod or Android device you probably can feed the sounds to your computer by wireless and use the computer to feed an amplifier.

-Terry
dileTTante

Re: External sound system

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:18 pm

I used to have one of those set-ups, but I used it as part of a trade in to get parts for my Lionel 221 some years ago. We were not that impressed with it. We had a better effect from playing one of our locomotive sounds records.

One option we have looked into is with SD card sound blocks. They are little blocks (around 2"x2"x3", and they cost between $5-30) that have a speaker, controller, and an SD card slot that allows you to play MP3s from the cards, which would allow the user to having ambient sounds coming from various locations on the layout.

We have a few sound boards on our Android phones that does a lot of the same effect.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to Electric / DCC