//S
CSD

Re: Exhibitable TT layout- Stromallee

Postby Arseny » Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:47 pm

:lol: :thumbup:
Arseny

Postby Rich B » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:15 pm

I might give it a go. What's the wurst that could happen?
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:43 pm

Hamdemonium?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:21 am

ConducTTor wrote:Hamdemonium?

It's not a misspelling.
Wurst = German for "sausage"... :shh:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:45 pm

I know :)

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rich B » Wed May 21, 2014 3:34 am

I've spent a while fiddling with electronics and computer interfaces, to the detriment of visible progress. I got a new controller in January, a Roco MultiMaus Pro & MultiZentrale, which I thought would give me a start with JMRI. Nope. The MultiZentrale just doesn't want to communicate with JMRI, and I haven't got the will or expertise to make it happen. This leaves me with basic options, a change of controller or use Rocomotion. As Rocomotion only allows the use of Roco's own train detectors, this gets expensive even with such a small layout- a change to a LocoNet based system to allow me to use the Uhlenbrock DAISY II costs no more than kitting out the layout with the necessary detectors for Rocomotion. As I have a longer term, much larger project which I want automation on I think a change of system will be the course I take.

Having frustrated myself with the control side of things, I decided to do some work that I could see tangible progress with. The run up to the left hand tunnel entrance needed a retaining wall of some sort, and as yet I haven't found TT brick or stonework that I like. Inspired by a few photos, I decided to build a blandly modern wall with cylindrical reinforcements. I've made this out of balsa, and my current challenge is to get a smooth finish- I've given it an initial rub down with wire wool, and I will do the so again between coats of paint- household emulsion from Wilkinson's. Here's how things are looking at present. Overall there's 1.1m of the wall, steadily decreasing in height as it comes away from the tunnel. Cutting all the dowel to length was tedious!

The tunnel portal is simply foamboard. If it seems large, bear in mind it has to have overhead lines in, and the width was following NEM recommendations. The catenary masts are simply stuck in their holes for some flavour.

I had some good news in discovering that working point indicators that can be lit are now on the market at about €8 a piece. I can accept this sort of price for what will save me a lot of time and fiddling!

I've also been designing the main buildings of the paper mill in DraftSight for laser cutting, these are nearly ready to be sent off. As I get to grips with CAD I'm becoming excited by its potential for me. Hopefully I'll have something to show soon. I need to get on with things, I have an outing for Stromallee in December!

I should give an impression of how things stand generally. There's a road progressing down the middle, there was a concrete segment coal yard where the paint pots are, but water leaked onto it from the iron I was weighing it down with and trashed the laser cut slabs. Stupid mistake. I have a petrol station kit to go in at the end roughly where the pic is taken from, and decisions to make about scenery between the road and the paper mill, especially where the industrial tracks go offscene.

Rich B

Postby j p » Wed May 21, 2014 3:55 am

The tunnel portal seems to be too low if you want to use catenary. Insuficient vertical clearance is acceptable for old tunnels, as that can be found on the real railroad too. A new tunnel on a track with catenary should have the correct size though.
j p

Postby Rich B » Wed May 21, 2014 4:32 am

It's set for a contact wire height of 48mm above rail with 3.5mm (scale 420mm) between the catenery wire and the tunnel roof- well above the required minimum for modern 15kV installation, and comfortably within the range for if steam is in use, which requires 300mm minimum clearance between live wire and tunnel roof. Even 25kV requires only 270mm between live wire and sructure.

Besides, I imagine this to be a modernisation of an older installation, rather than a newly built line- see the wooden sleepers!
Rich B

Postby Rich B » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:48 am

I've been making further small steps of progress, and taking pictures of it with a potato. I shouldn't be so lazy, I have a better camera...

Electrification work has started. Sommerfeldt masts are a pig to solder to. I think if I was doing any more extensive electrification, I would draw up etches in a more solder-friendly material, brass or nickel-silver. The U channel is the wrong way round, which is ironic as I was trying to go for greater accuracy than the commercial offerings allow. This is a reduced encumburance double cantilever mast. I have registration arms to add yet, plus of course the overhead wire itself- I'm thinking 0.0011" guitar string with 0.0009" for the droppers. I'll use 0.0014" for the registration arms. Overscale, but finer than shop bought catenary.

I've had the shells for the main paper mill buildings laser cut, and now must work on the brick overlays, window framing etc. I'm still a novice with CAD! This is about 2/3 of the main building. Clockwork Ideas of Horndean provided the cutting service and helpful advice.

Last edited by Rich B on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans