Exhibitable TT layout- Stromallee

Re: Exhibitable TT layout- Stromallee

Postby Rich B » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm

LVG1 wrote:Interesting detail! :thumbup:

May be, you could put it a millimeter or so lower? There were extremely few turnout signals which were so high. There's usually no space between guide arm and signal box.

Yeah, this is my first attempt. I think it could go a tiny bit lower, it's mounted on a rod in a hole drilled into the housing.

Do you plan to illuminate it?

I value my sanity. :crazy:

Do you plan to add point levers?

Yes, they're actually in the kit for the indicator too. For now, I was just seeing how much work was involved in making it work.
Rich B

Postby Rich B » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:45 pm

I've been distracted of late by my EM layout, but I'm back to the ideal scale- this week, at least.

I've ballasted the points so that I don't risk any adhesive gunking up the point motors. I'm using C&L N scale ballast. I sprayed the track with Railmatch sleeper grime before ballasting, which gives a nice base for further weathering and rusted rail sides. By using a standard colour, touching up is easier too. Plus it's available in a spray can, saving the effort of getting my airbrush out!

I've lost a box of point motors, so I've still got four turnouts needing their mechanisms. Once they're in, wiring can start in earnest. I'm going to be installing train detection with Railcom identification, which will be a learning experience for me.

The first bit of scenic work has started. I've put in a short stretch of the road that will run the length of the layout, with a concrete segment level crossing. Both concrete segment and cobblestones are from Auhagen.

I'm also trying to decide whether Auhagen's Bahnhof Wittenburg would be passable as the administrative part of my paper mill. I'll be using Cornerstone's Red Wing Flour Mill as the basis for the main production building, and I'm keeping my eyes out for any other buildings that have the right feel. I need tanks for the various liquids delivered for paper production and a nice loading area for outward goods. I think there's going to be a lot of scratch building. Oh, for more industrial buildings in TT!

Last edited by Rich B on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:28 pm

Looking good Rich :thumbup:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:21 am

Yup. It's got a good feel to it already. A paper mill is not an industry that comes to mind when I think of Germany, like sausage factory, but it is a great choice.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby LVG1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:23 am

CSD wrote:A paper mill is not an industry that comes to mind when I think of Germany, ...

Why not?
German industry is very eclectic.
There are paper mills in Germany, too.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Rich B » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:52 am

I'm actually having second thoughts about the industry- I don't think I've put enough sidings in for a paper works. When one considers the raw materials and chemicals involved, I need more than two inward goods tracks with distinct handling facilities.

Puplwood (Gondolas or stake cars, hardstanding and grab or tippler)
Calcium carbonate or kaolin (dry powder, covered hoppers or silo wagons- probably under track bunker unloading)
Optical whitener (liquid, tanks unloading often in a simple shelter)
Caustic soda (Tanks- I used to live near a plant producing it,here's an example train)

Plus assorted other chemicals.

I had thought of the paper mill as being something that could use wagons I'd be running on my Rübelandbahn project, but as I really don't need any vast quantities I don't think I should restrict myself so much.

This is a rough schematic of the factory tracks, with the arrow being the exit to the general industrial branch.

I found myself looking at the Bayer plant in Wuppertal- all I've ever seen there are coal hoppers and tank cars. If I were to model a pharmaceutical plant, I guess I could add van traffic for outward dry goods, and even certain inward powders- kaolin and morphine is a classic example of a mineral use in medicine. Plus, with all the pipework I can hide my offscene exit effectively!

Any other suggestions? A brewery is a bit of a cliché, although it does offer a lot of potential. Something with a variety of wagons would be great.

Cheers

Rich
Rich B

Postby CSD » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:34 pm

LVG1 wrote:
CSD wrote:A paper mill is not an industry that comes to mind when I think of Germany, ...

Why not?
German industry is very eclectic.
There are paper mills in Germany, too.

Yeah, I know. But, I wouldn't say that Germany is famous for paper the same way they are for beer, fine automobiles and umpa music.

Rich B wrote:... Any other suggestions?...

Cement plant? Textile factory? Food processing?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby j p » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:56 pm

How about concrete prefabricated elements or poles?
In: cement in covered hoppers, gravel in open hoppers, steel rebars in gondolas
Out: prefabricated elements or poles on flatcars or gondolas
+ some tank cars with oil for heating
j p

Postby Rich B » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:04 pm

CSD wrote:Cement plant? Textile factory? Food processing?

Hmm, cement... I wonder how well Cornerstone's Valley Cement would scale for TT. Inwards is mainly coal and lime off the top of my head. That could be a become a bit of a trademark for me, my EM layout is having a cement distribution depot on. In reality, cement works are pretty huge, though I've seen micro layouts based on steelworks, which are probably bigger again!

I think a textile factory would all be vans, though I guess tanks might come in for synthetic materials. Definitely worth me looking into.

Foor processing- ahah, a use for those banana vans! That's a bit of German cliché again, but perhaps not so much as beer. I'll have to find a prototype and see what info I can find.
Rich B

Postby Rich B » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:09 pm

j p wrote:How about concrete prefabricated elements

Not an industry I know anything about, sounds interesting to me. I imagine overhead gantry crane loading, which would look very cool.
Rich B

PreviousNext

Return to Layouts / Track Plans