european boxcars

european boxcars

Postby jmass » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:29 pm

the roco set that i just purchased come with three modern boxcars. i measured them out at four and three quarters inches, wich would put them at about47 feet. they only have two axels and im wondering what kind of weight limits this would put on a car, as opposed to a four axel truck.
jmass

Re: european boxcars

Postby LVG1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:15 pm

I've red that boxcars are clearly more common and clearly more frequently used in America than in Europe. Here in Europe gondolas are the bread and butter for the railroad companies.
Really heavy freight will be put on gondolas or flat cars (or even special cars) here. So the limited weight of boxcars won't really hurt.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Arseny » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:25 pm

In Russia too (concerning the usage of gondolas).
But nevertheless we use 4-axle rolling stock...

(Do you remember the Murphy law - if something can break down, it will break down! )
Arseny

Postby LVG1 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Here we also use mainly 4-axle cars. But concernig boxcars they were a clear minority untill the 1990'ies.

Arseny wrote:(Do you remember the Murphy law - if something can break down, it will break down! )

When I tried to become a locomotive engineer, Murphy's law was mainly quoted by those engineers who had to drive trains with Matrossov breaks (regauged trains from former Soviet Union).
Matrossov breaks need half an eternity untill they respond. But then it's like an anchor thrown out. So it needs a lot of experience and even more trust in god to make the train stand still at an almost acceptable point. :wtf:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Return to Prototypes / Models