Eurobahn Ottawa (angry ranting)

Talk about anything and everything!

Eurobahn Ottawa (angry ranting)

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:38 pm

I am considering if I should send a response to the following exchange I had with this sole Canadian authorize dealer of Tillig products:

Good luck, but (1) your 8% tax advantage will disappear when Ontario finally adopts a Harmonized Sales Tax, (2) you are wrong about postal
rates because cross border postage is double what within-Canada postage is and lastly (3) you live in Canada and should support your country's
economy wiether you buy from us of from someone else in Canada.

Goodbye. It was a very small pleasure to waste a lot of time working out prices for you.

Regards,
Charles Belair
Eurobahn Ottawa

Quoting Alexei Fox <alexei@...>:

Dear Charles,
Thank you very much for the detailed response and price quotes, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, at the moment, when it comes to prices, the strength of Canadian dollar with respect to the US$ seems to make online US retailers (such as Euro Train Hobby or Reynaulds) more attractive to a Canadian buyer. To make matters even worse, cross-border shipping is often chapter than shipping within the province! I guess I will have to watch for the Eurobahn's semi-annual sales!

Thanks again for your help.
Alexei

Sent: October-05-09 16:52
To: Alexei Fox
Subject: Re: Tillig TT scale (and other TT) enquiry

Dear Mr. Fox:

Before I give you price quotes (see below), We are Tillig’s representative in Canada and so we get our tillig products directly
from the factory and we can supply anything that is available from the Tillig factory warehouse.

We do not stock TT items, because of the small size of the TT market in Canada, but we can get Tillig products whenever you wish and in most cases we can time our Tillig HO purchases to fit with the timing of your TT order. It takes 4-5 weeks to receive a shipment from the day we send in the order, to allow 1-2 weeks for the invoicing and payment process plus 2-3 weeks for transatlantic postal delivery.

TT orders of less than C$150 total will, however, carry a surcharge of $50 per order to defray the high cost percentage-wise for the transatlantic shipping of small orders.

While we do not stock TT items, again we can get anything that the factory warehouse has. If we did stock TT, however, we would not stock TT locomotives. We do not stock HO locomotives either, because our experience is that no matter how many locomotives you might have in stock, the customer always wants the one you haven’t got. Locomotives are relatively expensive and we only have them in stock if we were offered a locomotive at an especially good price or if the locomotive is something that one of us here would want to add to his own collection if it did not sell. The same is true of passenger car sets, but to a slightly lesser degree.

Within Canada, we send packages by Canada Post express service, insured and traceable. We charge you the exact postage that Canada Post charges us plus C$4 to cover materials, packing and handling. We confirm to you by e-mail the date on which we send a parcel to you and we give you the Canada Post tracking code so you can follow the delivery progress of your parcel. we cannot quote you Canada Post postal rates because of course the rate will depend on the size and weight of the package.

Most of this business is mail order and we are well familiar with the postal procedures involved.

Somewhat the same as with Tillig, we can supply anything by Roco or Brawa that is available from their factories. Kuehn does not deal with retailers as far as we know, but we are willing to try to get their products for you. Peresvet is a new company for us and we do not know who they are or what they sell. As far as we know, Peresvet do not appear at the Nürnberg Toy Fair, which we attend every February (we were just doing some Toy Fair planning this morning).

Next, all our prices are based directly on the applicable C$-to-€ exchange rate on the day that we pay Tillig. So prices are quoted below on the basis of C$1.65 for 1 € and if the rate goes up or down, then the retail price goes up or down accordingly. Price quotes are valid for 30 days.

Price estimates follow in numerical order and based on C$1.65 for 1 €:

List of MSRP Prices in Euro * 1.65

Regards,
Charles Belair
Eurobahn Ottawa

Quoting Alexei Fox :

Hello!

I am currently in the process of looking for Tilling advanced track pieces for my first permanent TT layout. I would like to see if you
have the pieces I am interested in, and what the prices are.

Here is an approximate list:

List of pieces with Tillig part numbers

Also, if you can provide me with the “in-stock’ list of TT items (I am mostly interested in locomotives) from Roco, Peresvet, Brawa, Kuehn,
and others, with the current pricing, it would be great. I am located in Richmond Hill, Ontario, and would also appreciate any
information (shipping, order times for special orders, etc.) that you may be able to provide.

Looking forward to dealing with you as my TT scale dealer of choice!

Thanks.

Alexei Fox

I feel that his point #3 and the last sentence deserved a response. I am thinking of something like this:
Dear Charles,
Thank you for your response. I thought I was being polite when I quoted the curcumstances outside of both of our control as the reasons I will not be buying from Eurobahn Ottawa. However, based on your response, I believe you deserve to know what I really think about your business model.

Last thing first, I am sorry you had to spend time (5 minutes?) multiplying Tillig MSRP prices by 1.65, I could have done it myself. Secondly, I make every effort to support local manufacturers, farmers, and retailers, as I believe that this is what makes Canada a better place to live in by creating jobs, fostering innovation, and increasing the overall standard of living. I also appreciate quality service, and would often pay more money in a local independent brick and mortar store for the item that I could have gotten cheaper online. I spend hundreds, and sometimes thousands of dollars annualy at your neihgbours, Lee Valley Tools, and consider them to be a model for a Canadian manufacturer/retailer.

However, none of above seem to apply to Eurobahn Ottawa. Based on the information on your web site and in the e-mail you sent me, Eurobahn Ottawa offers the following service:
1) On demand, quote MSRP price with minimum order penalty disclaimer, forward order to European manufacturer, receive the package, forward it to consumer.
2) Uhm... see #1?

The web site proudly states that rather than spending time/money on maintaning the product catalogue (and, I suppose, producing newsletters, and promoting railroad modeling in Canada through electronic means?), you prefer to use the revenues for annual vacations in Europe, and occasional tours of Canada, all of which can be claimed as business expense. You charge the dealer mark-up on European-made producs simply for being registered as an "authorized dealer" and re-packaging and re-mailing orders. You know full well that MSRP pirces are designed for brick and mortar stores and supposed to cover expenses which you simply do not have, but you feel ithere is nothing wrong with charging MSRP.

Even if your carrier of choice for trips to Europe is Air Canada, I doubt that it is a good enough reason for Canadians to buy from Eurobahn Hobby.

Sincerely,
Alexei

If you got this far, I hope you will be able to tell me - am I missing something here? Should I be ashamed of not willing to pay MSRP to a mail-forwarding outlet that happen to be run out of Ottawa or Quebec (not even sure, based on his comment about 8% PST)?
BTTB Fan

Re: Eurobahn Ottawa (angry ranting)

Postby CSD » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:06 pm

I had a similar experience. I requested a price list (as I determine what I can buy by the price) and was told that I need to tell them what I want before they would give me any prices. The entire exchange was rude and dismissive. At that point I decided that any further interaction with those idiots was not worth my time. Additionally, I have found that Canadian businesses are hard to deal with and I have abandoned any loyalty I might of had to supporting our economy. One thing I will say for our American and world wide neighbors is that they know the value of a dollar and will bend over backwards for you to get it. Screw you Eurobahn Ottawa.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:04 pm

What a bunch of dicks. I actually ran across their site about a year ago and from what I read on it, it looked like they charge premium prices for . I don't know what for. I never visited their site again. Good luck to them with their "business" model :roll:

I don't think you're out of line. Any jackass who says "Goodbye. It was a very small pleasure to waste a lot of time working out prices for you." to a customer, deserves whatever response they get.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Thanks, guys. That last sentence left me speechless - I mean, quoting prices is about the only thing they do! And my list was about 25 items, all with part numbers...
I am still not sure if I am going to send out my response. I am not afraid to tell him what I think, I am just not sure if I want to stoop to his level. My need to vent my frustration/bewilderment was satisfied by posting here, and I am also thinking posting their web site in "Link" topic with the reference to this thread :D
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby jmass » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:26 pm

best thing you can do my friend is to be done with them. however, and this guy should realise this before he sends a letter like that bad word of mouth will damage his buisnesses reputation. not to mention the fifty or so members of this forum will probally not look to kindly to his responce,and avoid making purchases through eurobohn hobbys.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:47 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:......I am also thinking posting their web site in "Link" topic with the reference to this thread :D

Come to think of it, that will likely be more helpful than not having them listed at all......
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:43 pm

That company sounds like a bunch of friggin' jerks, almost as if some connecticut residents went north to Canada to start a business.....
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to Off Topic