Euro's decline - A public service announcement

Euro's decline - A public service announcement

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 07, 2010 4:05 pm

Given that many of us rely on Europe for models, the currency exchange rate with the Euro is obviously a major contributor to the cost of models. Well, thanks to the inability of a country to devalue its own currency in order to deal with market forces, Greece is royally screwed. Spain is next. The rest of Europe (mainly Germany) has to bail them out. This is all leading to instability in the markets and a decreased confidence in the Euro. All this is ultimately good for those like us who purchase products from the EU. Earlier this year the Euro was as much as 1 to 1.5 against the dollar. Today it's about 1.27. Analysts are expecting that between a month and half a year from now, the rate will be roughly 1:1. SO! If you've been waiting to make a purchase from across the pond, hold off a bit - for a 30% sale on EVERYTHING!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Euro's decline - A public service announcement

Postby jmass » Fri May 07, 2010 6:27 pm

yea, maybe now the prices on some of tillig digital set will get a little more realistic.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 07, 2010 6:50 pm

Definitely, they're up there. This set for example http://www.tillig.com/cgi-bin/tillig.pl ... tml&suche= is 290 Euro which is roughly $365 now. If you think about the REAL price at a 1:1 exchange rate, we're looking at $290 minus 20% with removal of VAT tax ends up at about $242. 3 wagons, a digital loco and, a digital system for $242 is very doable!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Fri May 07, 2010 7:51 pm

ive been looking at that set alot lately.i like the model track that comes with it but have not been able to find long pieces anywhere.ive checked eurotrain and others they all seem to have nothing more the 3 inche pieces.it looks exactly like unitrack.i also like the loco,for some reason it reminds me of a gp7 or nine.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 08, 2010 1:28 am

jmass wrote:ive been looking at that set alot lately.i like the model track that comes with it but have not been able to find long pieces anywhere.ive checked eurotrain and others they all seem to have nothing more the 3 inche pieces.it looks exactly like unitrack.

The longest straight piece that the "bedding" track comes is just over 6.5". I would contact George at ETH and let him know you want this part http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/product_i ... ts_id/3142 - he's been nothing but helpful with anything I've needed or asked.

Or you can buy here but you're looking at roughly $40 in shipping (second one down) https://www.modellbahnwelt24.de/index.p ... &&lang=eng

jmass wrote:i also like the loco,for some reason it reminds me of a gp7 or nine.

The BR 218 is my favorite German diesel. The Tillig models are nice. You can pick up a next to brand new one on ebay Germany relatively cheap - the last one I got was boxed with all parts and looked to be used lightly if at all and was 55 Euro (roughly $75). I've never had an issue buying from there and always ask for non insured shipping which ends up being about $20. Long story short, you can pick up this loco for under $100. PM me if you want my "good to go" list of German sellers.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sat May 08, 2010 2:05 pm

the track that you show is thier standard bedding track. the track that im talking about is sa best as i can tell is called model track and ive only seem to see it with sets. its also shown on eurotrain hobbys track section under bedding track. look up bg-3 and br 22 and you will see what i mean. this track looks exactly like kato unitrack. joe
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 14, 2010 12:07 pm

jmass wrote:the track that you show is thier standard bedding track. the track that im talking about is sa best as i can tell is called model track and ive only seem to see it with sets. its also shown on eurotrain hobbys track section under bedding track. look up bg-3 and br 22 and you will see what i mean. this track looks exactly like kato unitrack. joe

Somewhere something is not correct. Here is the picture for BG 3 on ETH:

And here it is on Tillig's site:

Here are the respective pages:
http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/product_i ... ts_id/3146
http://www.tillig.com/cgi-bin/tillig.pl ... index.html
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:06 pm

Things are looking better and better - "1.00 EUR = 1.19966 USD"

http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi?To=US ... R&Amount=1
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Sadly, canadian dollar is declining almost at the same pace as Euro.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Return to General Discussion