Erie Caboose Radio Antenna

Re: Erie Caboose Radio Antenna

Postby Bernd » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:59 pm

Had a bit of a set back with the jig. When I went to center punch the jig I inadvertently missed getting it dead center where the spokes meet in the middle. What to do? Re-scribe the jig that's what. In case you'd like to see how I made the holding jig I did a little video. It's speeded up to 4 times of actual speed.

It'll get done one of these days. :grin:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:58 pm

More progress on the jig. I finally was brave enough to drill a .0225" hole through the 1/4" thick aluminum jig. It was done manually with an Archimedes Drill. What is that? Here's a picture of one.

So here's the hole in the jig, plus a penny for size comparison.

And if you don't believe me here's the drill sticking through the jig. It took about 10 minutes to drill through and I only used one drill. 8-)

Next up is making the tiny clamps to hold the wire down for soldering.

Not to worry Al. I'll get'er done soon. :wink:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:49 am

Don't get in a big hurry Bernd, that would mean I'd have to finish the model too!
Actually I have it about 90%, it would have been more like 95 except I managed to get a big glob of solder into the nut that mounts the trucks. And it's soldered inside the bolster etch, so I had to do some "non destructive disassembly"!
areibel

Postby Bernd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:33 am

Not hurrying Al. :smile:

Since we are supposed to get rain today I decided to retreat to the shop and work on the antenna jig. I came up with small clamps to hold down the wire. Using .010" (.25mm) piano wire I made three tiny clamps to hold down the circle of phosphor bronze wire.

Next I cut six pieces of wire to a length of .140" (3.556mm) long for the spokes. Flux was smeared on were the wires will be soldered to and tiny slivers of solder were added.

Here comes the fun part. Soldering all those parts together. Easy to do. I set the jig on a bigger piece of aluminum and then that was set on a gas stove burner. At the highest setting it only took a few minutes to heat both plates to melt the solder.

A quick run under some cold water and this is the end result. Not 100% but it proves out the jig works.

I can think of one reason not all six spokes soldered, the wire wasn't clean enough. Also when I drilled the .0225" (.5715mm) hole through the center it didn't drill straight though. The slanted hole has nothing to do with the soldering job. Now that I have prove of concept I'm going to make another jig, hopefully with a straight hole through the center.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Well here you go. Third try was the lucky charm.

I cleaned the phosphor bronze wire using a piece of emery paper. Proof positive that clean parts solder much better and neater.

Now on to making the "perfect jig" with a straight hole through the center. WHY? Here's why.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby areibel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:59 pm

SO I get home after a bad day at work and there's a package in the mail, containing these-

003.JPG

The wizard has been busy again! And I'm grinning from ear to ear, Thanks Bernd!
I think these even put the HO versions to shame!
But I didn't see a bill, I owe you something- Money? My right arm? Maybe my first born (well, that wouldn't be much of a deal, he's kind of ornery!)
Al
areibel

Postby areibel » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:07 pm

And here's one of them with a Gold Coast Truck to compare the size to-

010.JPG
areibel

Postby Bernd » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:25 pm

areibel wrote:But I didn't see a bill, I owe you something- Money? My right arm? Maybe my first born (well, that wouldn't be much of a deal, he's kind of ornery!)
Al

And you won't see a bill. After you having a bad day and I could put a smile on your face, that's payment enough.

Enjoy and I want a picture of the caboose posted here when "You gitter' dun". :lol:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Sventton » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:25 am

Btw Al, what caboose model is this going on to....a Dunmore Shops scratch build brass?
Sventton

Postby areibel » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:56 am

Not quite! I'm not that brave yet!
I have a pair of Ingo Schwaetzers' etched brass bay window caboose kits that are very close for the Erie 301-350 series- http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/erie-c301lbb.jpg
I have one almost finished and another I haven't started, the only big difference is the end widow location, the kit has end windows that are higher than the Erie/EL version. I took the roof back of of the built one to see if I can fudge them down some way, if I can't I'll paint that one red and call it good enough and build the second one in EL colors-
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/frt/el-c315bkg.jpg
You can see the problem on the EL one, on the end the windows are at the same height as the side windows and there's a set of yellow stripes above them, on the model the windows are a foot or more higher. I had some decals made by Dan's Resin Casting (he scaled them down from HO) and it includes those yellow stripes. If I can't change the built one I think I can take the "flat" one and move the windows before I fold the body.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to Builders' Corner