End of TT Empire

End of TT Empire

Postby TTTerrific » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:51 pm

I checked my P.O. Box yesterday and in it was a copy of TT Empire. It's the farewell issue--after 31 years in publication. Mike Braunstein did a fine job of keeping the SIG (special interest group of the NMRA) alive, though not well, for a long time. With the passing of Larry Sayre and John Harmon not so involved (publicly) in TT there was little to keep the Empire's fire burning. I was editor of the SIG from Jan. 1995 through Dec. 1999. I really enjoyed my time "at the throttle" so to speak. I was able to converse with and learn from some very seriously talented TT modelers. I suspect that many of those subscribers to the Empire have passed away.

Mike did note that he was ending the Empire on a hopeful note citing the release of SAZ' Model's TT SW 900/1200 switcher (a result in good part due to the interest of members of this Board) and a good color display of the spectacular TT Iris Creek Valley layout in Germany.

I'm really not much of a political type, but the NMRA's and the main model railroading publications' failure to include TT as one of the many extant scales of the hobby certainly didn't help matters. In any event I'm pleased to have the availability of this fine forum, and its many members, to assist me in my TT modeling endeavors.
TTTerrific

Re: End of TT Empire

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:51 pm

31 years. Wow, I didn't know it's been around for that long. Well, Empire, thanks for keeping the torch lit. We'll do our best to keep it that way for long time. Thanks and goodbye.

As for NMRA, I have some thoughts about that....
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:17 pm

I'm sad to see it go, but I think the internet (especially this little corner of it!) has filled the void.
I looked forward to the next issue of the Empire, but I really enjoyed going through the back issues of the Empire and it's predecessors (like "TT Today" and even the Glyn Lewis columns in RMC). I'm hoping that the Empire back issues will be available on CD, I know it was discussed but haven't heard much more about it. The enthusiasm that those editors had for TT was great, and I think that was another little piece of how it survived.
But now I can get a daily dose of TT, and I'm learning a little to boot! I can get answers to questions from some real experts from all over the world. I'm curious as to how many different countries are represented here now?
Nice Job, Mr. ConducTTor! Take a bow!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:47 pm

Thank you sir :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:03 am

areibel wrote:I'm sad to see it go...

As a former TT Empire Editor (2005-2009)... so am I;

But... its time had come, and as with so many other periodic publications, the consumption patterns of information and media have changed forever.

"Sic transit gloria mundi"
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Arseny » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:28 am

I hope the CD with the back issues of TT Empire will be available.
If I am not mistaken, Mike told about it in the Yahoo conference.
Arseny

Postby milwrd1 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:39 pm

areibel wrote: I'm hoping that the Empire back issues will be available on CD, I know it was discussed but haven't heard much more about it. The enthusiasm that those editors had for TT was great, and I think that was another little piece of how it survived.
But now I can get a daily dose of TT, and I'm learning a little to boot! I can get answers to questions from some real experts from all over the world. I'm curious as to how many different countries are represented here now?
Nice Job, Mr. ConducTTor! Take a bow!

I too hope the back issues will available on CD some day. I am fortunate enough to have a copy of the very first issue of the Empire, I believe that Larry Sayre was the editor or the major contributor. All of the editors should be congratulated....31 years is a long time.
Times are changing, and this forum is is evidence of the changing times. Just think about the MTB / Sazmodel SW1200, TT has certainly come along way :!: :!:

All who contribute to the forum should realize the progress that has been made, thanks again to the forum administrators for keeping things on track. This forum is easy to operate / navigate and fast. The forum on Yahoo continues to have problems, I don't have any idea what the problem is, but it takes me an awful lot of time just to read the latest messages :!:
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm talking to someone about publishing Empire issues on this site for free. They're not particularly enthusiastic about that idea :evil:
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:21 pm

What's a CD ????????
My 2-week old machine has no such device!

Download is the most universally-available means of content distribution.

ConducTTor wrote:I'm talking to someone about publishing Empire issues on this site for free.
They're not particularly enthusiastic about that idea :evil:

Such a surprise... NOT
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:32 pm

Richard-B wrote:What's a CD ????????
My 2-week old machine has no such device!

Download is the most universally-available means of content distribution.

A lot of older American modellers still use CD to sell albums of photos to each other.

I was stunned to see this ... finding a machine in Europe that will accept a CD is getting harder and harder. I should know, I still had three CDs of images and saving them was not easy. And let's face it, Europe itself is a technological backwater ...

Richard-B wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:I'm talking to someone about publishing Empire issues on this site for free.
They're not particularly enthusiastic about that idea :evil:

Such a surprise... NOT

TT has a history of people who decided to hold onto something they thought was worth something, till it ended up being worth nothing, like the guy in Chicago with his garage full of mouldy cardboard sides and oxidised brass, to the chap who held onto the old TT Yahoo forum like grim death until it kind of deleted itself.

The last two issues of the Empire had errors, umm, like not even knowing who the SW1200 manufacturer was.
scaro

Next

Return to General Discussion