EMD FL9 in TT

EMD FL9 in TT

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:31 am

for only 15 euro, i think this one is worth trying out ...

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1868411 ... ?li=aeTabs

B.
scaro

Re: EMD FL9 in TT

Postby Marquette » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:59 am

Interesting. Were it an F7 or FT I'd probably try it out myself.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:11 am

i don't know what the changes are to turn it into a more widely used F unit but he may be willing to make them. should mention that it is 38 euro if you want it in FUD. if nothing else, it may be a good source of parts for an FT or similar. anyway, i'll order one and see what i think of the quality.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:23 am

As far as I know the FL9 is considerably different from the other F units, but I don't know in detail... I've never really looked at it beyond "oh that's nifty" since it was only used by the New Haven and that's not something I've ever considered modelling.
Marquette

Postby railtwister » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:15 am

Marquette wrote:As far as I know the FL9 is considerably different from the other F units, but I don't know in detail... I've never really looked at it beyond "oh that's nifty" since it was only used by the New Haven and that's not something I've ever considered modelling.

I think it was a bit longer than an F7, plus, as I recall, it had a three axle truck on the rear with a two axle truck on the front. It also was equipped with third rail pickup shoes for operation where there was a third rail and diesel fumes were prohibited. A truly unique locomotive...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:27 pm

FL9 was 8' longer than an F, 4' longer than an FP7/9 but both FPs and FL9 were 34' between truck centres.

luis, the designer, upped the drawing from N to TT pretty fast. i'll post here what i think of the print, once it arrives. you never know, if it gets a few sales he may be amenable to editing the design to come up with more 'regular' F units.

i only need an FP7 or F7 if i go down the route of modelling the SCL. neither model wows me much, too plain jane on a RR that had FAs and baldwins in its past, but you would want some kind of carbody loco on the roster for the variety.
Last edited by scaro on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby Marquette » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Well, for me, a good F3 will be my B&O bread and butter. On the other hand for Pennsy in my area of choice it looks to be a dog's breakfast of a mix as far as road units go, FP7 and E7 would be welcome for passenger trains and a few F3 and/or F7, a brand-new shiny GP7 is a possibility, but mostly for PRR I'll need H-10-44, Baldwin Sharks, Erie-builts, C-Liners and the Lima centre cab. So lots of scratchbuilding ahead of me here...
Marquette

Postby scaro » Sat May 03, 2014 3:59 am

the FL9 shell turned up.

i can't get hold of the solution needed to clean the wax so won't paint it in undercoat for now, so there's little point in photographing it yet ... but basically this is a really nice shell and I have asked Luis if he would consider a few edits to do an F7 or FP7.
scaro

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat May 03, 2014 6:23 pm

When you can get the shell cleaned of wax and such, I would love to see a photo, as even how much I hated being stationed in Connecticut, a lot of good times that I had up there revolved around museums that had FL9s on display. That and it is an "odd" locomotive (B-A1A), which is something that I am into as well.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:30 pm

FL9 7.jpg
FL9 6.jpg
FL9 3.jpg

i've finally gotten around to cleaning this loco of wax ... shapeways used to do 'easter specials' that used as much wax as the average paschal candle, but they seem to have gotten a bit more sparing with wax these days, so the FL9 cleaned up in just dishwashing liquid and hot water.

i also immersed it by dropping it into boiling water first to test a theory i'd been told about FUD, that you could do this and it was tough enough to retain its shape and not to melt ... however, if you used, say tweezers to move the shell around, the marks of the tweezers would press into the soft plastic. it is true that it does not melt. the shell is quite thin, yet it is surprisingly tough plastic.

i have not done any sanding on this loco, just a coat of grey auto primer just to show what it was like fresh from their factory. i really think this is getting near the kind of quality we expect and if the designer could be urged to kitbash his diagram into an FP7 or F7 we would be close to where we need to be for an F unit. i have asked him but did not get a reply.
scaro

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models