Electric switches

Electric switches

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:54 am

So far I've always changed my switches manually. I will be doing this electrically on my new layout and am curious how any of you are doing this. Are you using momentary switches? Obviously if the electromagnet in the switch is receiving constant voltage it will get hot quickly so it makes sense that only momentaries are used. Correct?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Electric switches

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:12 am

For me these work fine: http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/product_info.php/Control-panel-for-turnouts-signals-et/Tillig/cPath/105_106_172_123/products_id/5579
Push down - momentary switch (for switches), lift up for continuous (I rarely use this feature, choosing instead the momentary switch+DPDT relay combination instead, but that's probably because I have more of those DPDT relays than I can find better use for...).
These panels can easily be chain-linked by ckicking them together, and having a clamp connection, they are well suited for quick setup/tear-down. The only drawback is the clamp connection may not work well for you unless you use proper terminators on your wires.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby CSD » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 am

You may want to try some micro (sub miniature) electronic switches for more permanent installations. The toggle has a center off position and 2 momentary on positions to either side [(on)-off-(on)] and are easily installed in the layout facia or control panel depicting your track arrangement. They come in other configurations that can be used to control other functions i.e. track power ,lighting, etc. I've found the ones from Mode Electronics (41-237) to be the cheapest. These or some similar are available at most electronic stores.
Attachments
getpicture.php.jpeg
getpicture.php.jpeg (7.21 KiB) Viewed 717 times
getpicture.php.jpeg.gif
getpicture.php.jpeg.gif (8.94 KiB) Viewed 717 times
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Oh nice, I didn't know momentary-off-momentary switches were made. Those are perfect - thx.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Something else that can be done that would definitely make your layout stand out is to make a board that resembles a CTC board with the track paths on it, and use relays to illuminate which direction that the track switch is aligned to.

That way you can see what direction your trains will go without having to hunt down the point alignment on the layout.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:51 pm

Yup! That's one of my must haves.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby BTTB Fan » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:00 pm

That's another thing that I like much more on the old ("standard track") electric turnout mechanisms - they have built-in "relay" that can be used for lighting the appropriate lamp based on current turn-out position. Does anyone know if Tilling underboard mount mechanism has this capability?
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:38 pm

I think they do, but I am not 100% on that. I think that the Atlas undertable motor can be modified to work with TT switches. Heck it does N and HO, so it should do something inbetween. The top of the line Atlas undertable machines have aux contacts on them for signalling.

Since I have a lot of Rokal and BTTB turnouts, I plan on using the motors attached to them, and when the layout gets closer to completion to use something that is referred to as a "follower relay", where the track switch controller activates both the switch machine and a relay that is used to shift the light signal from red to green or vice versa.

The drawback is that if the turnout sticks, the indication will not match, hence the need to maintain the trackwork.

The advantages are in the wiring (less wires to use) and the troubleshooting when the relay/contacts wear out, not to mention the reduced cost.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:53 pm

If you know what you are doing, you can make a switch machine and a controller for it with the parts found in Radioshack.

The one here in Groton seems to always fall for my request for a "flux capacitor", specifically one rated at "1.21 Gigawatts".

At least the control panel can be easily made from Radioshack parts, the motor and linkage itself is another story....
AstroGoat760

Postby TT-SouthAfrica » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:35 pm

Something interesting I've played around with in the past is having the trackplan drawn onto a board (tape or marker etc) with two brass screws where you'd have a point / turnout, the negative would be wired to a feeding strip then linked to a pen / tube with piece of brass or copper in the end to contact with the screws, simply just touch the brass screw with the pen to activate the turnout.
However I've kept a couple of old electronic devices which I've removed the keys which are momentary switches and those sub-minature buttons found in most electronic equipment .
Regards
Gareth Owen
The one and possibly only South African TT'er
TT-SouthAfrica

Return to Electric / DCC