Фото-0518.jpg
Фото-0521.jpg
Фото-0522.jpg
Фото-0523.jpg

The desired lots:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/221091874804
http://www.ebay.de/itm/221091873884

The topic about it on Russian forum:
http://forum.tt-hobby.ru/showthread.php/707-что-делать-если-продавец-не-высылает-выигранные-вами-лоты-на-Ebay

Be careful!
Arseny

Re: Ebay experience

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:59 pm

Holy Haggis! Thanks for the heads up!!!!!!!
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:14 pm

I have had that once with a TT3 brake van that I paid for, and all I got was a postcard with a picture of the car on it. All it took was a complaint to eBay to get a refund.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:48 pm

Arseny wrote:One Russian guy got some logs instead TT-locomotives by Ebay:

Фото-0519.jpg

Be careful!

Those aren't logs, they are wooden box car kits. Just carve away anything that doesn't look like a box car.<G>
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:50 pm

One must examine pictures of used equipment carefully.

I must admit that I am less than fully satisfied with the last two lots of old used equipment I purchased on E-Bay.
Granted I will get some use out of the models but a better description of them would have included the word: "Tired".
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Rich B » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 am

My suspicions lie with the postal services and customs. The seller has a long trading history with many other ebayers without fault. Unless he's particularly racist against Russians, I can't imagine that he'd choose to sully his reputation in such a crass way. I'm surprised that ebay/paypal didn't force a refund, as here at least they regard packages as seller's responsibility until they're with the buyer, and postal insurance usually requires the seller to make a claim. In the shoes of this seller, I'd make the claim and refund the buyer.
Rich B

Postby Arseny » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:21 am

Usually it is noticeable if the package was opened or damaged by postal service or customs. For example, sometime ago I'd received a package that was opened and re-packed with unusual blue sticky tape (nothing was lost or damaged, but the package was opened). Postal employeers told me that such tapes are used by customs.
In this case the packages seemed not to be opened.

Ebay refused to make the refund.

For a start, seller did not want to ship to Russia, he took a long pause and buyer forced him to send the package. And then...

Unless he's particularly racist against Russians, I can't imagine that he'd choose to sully his reputation in such a crass way

Maybe he'd lost his grandfather near Stalingrad. :x
If so, he needs Katusha rocket launcher or T-34 to solve this problem. :problem:
Arseny

Postby j p » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:31 pm

Customs use a special tape if they opened, checked, and closed again.
But if they (or anyone in the post office) would steal, they would try to make it look as if it was not opened.
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:15 pm

I kinda doubt that someone in the postal system would take the time to replace the stolen items with wood, or something else for that matter, as it is hard to believe that the person would have the time to do such a swap.

My experience has shown that if the item is stolen when it is in the postal system, the package is opened and the contents taken out. I have had that happen at least a dozen times myself, all of which had notes from the St. Louis, MO postmaster saying how the package was found on the floor of their facility and that the package was opened, and left as such.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby railtwister » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi Arseny,

It would seem like there's only three possibilities here.

1) The seller is scamming the buyer, and packed blocks of wood in the package to give it enough weight to give a false impression that it contained the merchandise.

2) The buyer is scamming the seller, and swapped the merchandise for the blocks of wood after he received the package.

3) Somewhere in between, someone intercepted the package and stole the goods, substituting the blocks of wood so that the package weight was approximately correct so as to avoid arousing suspicion during the rest of it's journey.

Scenario number one seems unlikely, especially if the seller is well known and has received good feedback for many previous transactions.

Scenario number three also seems unlikely, since the thief would have had to have known the contents of the package, and would have had to have the blocks of wood on hand, plus would have needed the time and place to make the switch without being found out. Also, as has been pointed out, it seems more likely that he would have simply disposed of the package once he had taken the goods, leaving the package to be considered "lost in the system".

That leaves scenario number two, which on the surface seems to be the one most likely, which may be the reason why the claim was denied initially. Does anyone know the buyer involved in this case? It is possible that he may be an innocent victim, but how can he prove it either way? Has he filed any theft report with the authorities? In this country, mail theft is supposed to be taken pretty seriously by the authorities (and customs), is it serious in other countries as well, or do the authorities involved just go through the motions with out really trying to solve the case?

I'm afraid as an outsider, I would hesitate to deal with either of these parties for any of my own transactions.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Next

Return to General Discussion