Dresden Industriegelände railway

Dresden Industriegelände railway

Postby Rich B » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:16 am

This query is squarely aimed at MacG and LVG1, but I thought I'd ask it publicly as it could be interesting.

Do you know of any sources for images of the industrial railway in Industriegelände when it was in operation? I've found what I think are two alternative names for it, the Industriebahn Albertstadt and Zeugmeistereibahn Dresden-Albertstadt. About the only pictures I've found are here: http://www.sachsenschiene.net/bahn_alt/ ... sta573.htm

Cheers

Rich
Rich B

Re: Dresden Industriegelände railway

Postby LVG1 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:52 pm

I have to confess, the photos which you offered by your link are the first images of this railway in service which I've ever seen.
There are not many images about railroads in GDR; but images about non-DR railroads of that time are extremely rare.
I've searched in my books. Even in an otherwise very detailed book especially about Dresden's railroads this industrial railroad was not even mentioned.

I only can tell you a bit about the terms.
  • "Industriegelände" simply means "industrial area".
  • "Industriebahn" means "industrial railroad".
  • "Albertstadt" ("Albert's town") is the initial name of what's now called Dresden's "äußere Neustadt" ("outer new town").
    It was built to host the families of soldiers serving at one of Saxony's largest caserns which was immediately north of Albertstadt—between Albertstadt and current industrial area.
  • "Zeugmeistereibahn" is a very oldfashioned term. I've never heard it before. It probably dates back to the time before the industrial area's existence.
    "-bahn" means "railroad".
    "Zeugmeisterei" is an oldfashioned military term. I couldn't find a useful translation. Referring to Wikipedia, similar terms (like "Feldzeugmeister" for instance) were used only until the early days of 20th century. "Zeugmeister" is the chief of an armory. The suffix "-ei" is usually used to describe facilities supporting the person(s) or institution named by the word wearing this suffix. These facilities usually include storage yards, repair shops and staff, respectively.

I'm sorry that I can't really help you.
But I can ask some friends. I consider it as very unlikely but may be someone can tell me where to find images of this railroad.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Rich B » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks, I've tried all sorts of terms myself, hitting those photos almost by chance following a description of it as the Industriebahn Albertstadt on a website about Dresden's areas. As far as I can understand it was originally built for a munitions depot, but expanded to serve the other industries building up around that area. I don't really have a specific goal in searching for photos, it's mostly to get some flavour for Stromallee. If there are pictures of any similar railways in the former DDR, that would be equally helpful.
Rich B

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:20 pm

Rich, if you use English -> German (and backwards) web translators, I would create an account on DSO and ask in the "Historical Train" area (http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/list.php?17). It's amazing what those guys dig up sometimes.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion