Dremel #155 HS Cutter

Dremel #155 HS Cutter

Postby TTTerrific » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:03 pm

I'm diligently working on repowering and broadly modifying an old Kemtron/Lindsay "Tiny Tim" 0-4-0. I installed a 50:1 Northwest Shortline gearbox into the loco frame. However, the lead weight at the front of the loco that provides a counterbalance to the weight of the motor at the rear of the loco plus providing additional weight for tractive effort, seriously interfered with the placement and alignment off the gearbox casing. I noted that if I could remove and tunnel out some of this weight the top of the gearbox case would clear the weight.

I know that drilling, grinding, sawing and generally bashing anything made of lead is usually a messy and futile endeavor; but I tried anyway. Failure was imminent. Then I decided to go to the local hardware store (Ace) to see if there was any tool I could find that would quickly and effectively remove solid lead.

I bought a Dremel tool (#115) that did the trick (see photo). Once chucked into the handtool, the lead chips really flew. In no time I had the material removed that was interfering with the gearbox unit. BE SURE TO WEAR ADEQUATE EYE PROTECTION. The chips really do fly when using this cutter! If had this cutter to start with, the job would have been much cleaner and professional looking, but what the hell--it works. $12.95 for a two-pack. :grin:
Attachments
#115 HS Cutter.JPG
TTTerrific

Re: Dremel #155 HS Cutter

Postby areibel » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:29 pm

Thanks for the tip Pat!
It is a nasty looking little thing, I can probably get it to draw blood quite easily!
areibel

Re: Dremel #155 HS Cutter

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks for the info. I have a few project docksiders that may need work on the weight.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to Builders' Corner