Does anyone else collect British TT Scale?

Does anyone else collect British TT Scale?

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:53 am

I am kinda curious as to if anyone else here collects British TT scale trains.

There is plenty on German and Russian items, and work on domestic designs, but I don't recall seeing much in the ways of British TT here.

Just curious.

James
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Does anyone else collect British TT Scale?

Postby TTSMR » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:16 pm

Yes sir!

I got started with Triang TT-3!

I have a pretty good collection.

Don
TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:45 pm

I also got my start with Tri-Ang. Nice looking, but hard to get more of.

I can't wait for the motor to my A4 model to show up. (the kit uses the Tri-Ang 4-6-2 chassis)

For those that are not familiar with British TT scale, I will take and post some photos of my collecTTion, and/or, you can take a gander at http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/tt/ttindex.htm.
AstroGoat760

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:48 pm

Whatever Tri-ang pieces were coming up on eBay were snatched by Britts at premium prices, so I don't own any.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:49 pm

If I had not gotten the first box of Tri-Ang stuff in person, I probally would not have gotten into TT gauge, as until I first saw the box and bought it, I only had a general knowledge of TT from older model train books.

Some of the stuff is not cheap. The A4 kit cost me $120, and the motor another $20. I am not sure how much the name plate set will cost, but that will be part of the model when done.

I guess on top of my American prototype TT, I should bring some British stuff as well...
AstroGoat760

Postby scaro » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:42 pm

British TT is, well, sort of a world apart. This is largely because it's a different scale from the rest of the TT world, 3mm/ft.

Secondly, it's a bit like 2mm scale in that if you really want to follow it, you need to belong to a particular group, in this case the 3mm Society, which makes just about everything to support the scale. There are only two other retailers of any note, 3SMR and Finney & Smith (both good shops and worth dealing with in my experience.)

Because the 3mm Society is a scale association and not a gauge association, they also support 3mm modelling not only in 12mm (which is after all only 4' gauge in 3mm/ft, but 13.5mm gauge- a finescale slightly compromised to make it easier to fit steam loco running gear, and 14.2mm, which is exactly 4'8 1/2" in 3mm /ft. They also have some support for those modelling Irish 3' gauge (ie, 9mm track), Irish 5'3" to 15.75mm gauge and there's even a couple who model Brunel broad gauge, 7' 0 1/4".

The Triang stuff is still around and you can occasionally buy it fairly cheap in the UK. It's pretty clunky by modern standards, but quite robust . . . a lot of what you see at exhibitions still runs very well for something that stopped being made in the late 60s.

Ben
scaro

Postby TTSMR » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:31 pm

You find the cheapest Triang TT-3 comming out of Australia.
TTSMR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:55 pm

That is actually where the last few passenger cars and diesel shunter I got came from.
AstroGoat760

Return to Prototypes / Models