Disapointed... (Engine failure)

Disapointed... (Engine failure)

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:06 pm

Well, one of my MTB Conrail SWs has stopped running today. The directional lighting works just fine, but the motor refuses to budge. I did get more life out of the motor before it stopped compared to the original four MTB SWs that I ordered years ago. I would estimate that the motor in this SW has run for about 400 hours before failure, rather than the 50 hours that I got out of my N&W SW.

I am not that upset, as I am still working on a repowering program for the entirety of my MTB SW fleet, but being down such a pretty engine is a little disappointing.

With Mashima no longer producing motors, does anyone know where to start the search for a new motor system?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Disapointed... (Engine failure)

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:12 am

Several vendors have moved to Canon as a supplier, at least one major Korean Brass builder has been successfully using Canon motors for some years. As with all things, YMMV.
Tom Dempsey

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 am

Tom Dempsey wrote:Several vendors have moved to Canon as a supplier, at least one major Korean Brass builder has been successfully using Canon motors for some years. As with all things, YMMV.

I actually have never heard of Canon motors. I will have to look into that.
AstroGoat760

Postby krokodil » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:38 am

IMG_3044.JPG
Mitsumi on the right side

AstroGoat760 wrote:Well, one of my MTB Conrail SWs has stopped running today. The directional lighting works just fine, but the motor refuses to budge. I did get more life out of the motor before it stopped compared to the original four MTB SWs that I ordered years ago. I would estimate that the motor in this SW has run for about 400 hours before failure, rather than the 50 hours that I got out of my N&W SW.

I am not that upset, as I am still working on a repowering program for the entirety of my MTB SW fleet, but being down such a pretty engine is a little disappointing.

With Mashima no longer producing motors, does anyone know where to start the search for a new motor system?

If you are looking for dual axle motors, last time Mitsumi motors were available on many e-shops.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:58 pm

krokodil wrote:
IMG_3044.JPG

AstroGoat760 wrote:Well, one of my MTB Conrail SWs has stopped running today. The directional lighting works just fine, but the motor refuses to budge. I did get more life out of the motor before it stopped compared to the original four MTB SWs that I ordered years ago. I would estimate that the motor in this SW has run for about 400 hours before failure, rather than the 50 hours that I got out of my N&W SW.

If you are looking for dual axle motors, last time Mitsumi motors were available on many e-shops.

Does anyone have reviews on Canon and/or Mitsumi motors?
AstroGoat760

Postby krokodil » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:48 am

The Canon motors are mostly high precision motors. They were not made for model railroads (or at least I do not know any manufacturer who used Canon motors for trains). I build 2 models many years ago with Canon motors (originally designed for video recorders or cameras), no one was really a satisfying option. One motor was too slow the second one was too weak for trains. Finally I replaced both motors with Bühler and Roco (N-scale motor). My motors were completely encapsulated - no idea about their internal construction.
Probably the Canon motor requires completely different drive chain.
I did not test the Mitsumi motors in models yet, but are definitively closer to the model train motors in speed and construction.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:04 am

krokodil wrote:The Canon motors are mostly high precision motors. They were not made for model railroads (or at least I do not know any manufacturer who used Canon motors for trains). I build 2 models many years ago with Canon motors (originally designed for video recorders or cameras), no one was really a satisfying option. One motor was too slow the second one was too weak for trains. Finally I replaced both motors with Bühler and Roco (N-scale motor). My motors were completely encapsulated - no idea about their internal construction.
Probably the Canon motor requires completely different drive chain.
I did not test the Mitsumi motors in models yet, but are definitively closer to the model train motors in speed and construction.

Thanks for the heads up!
AstroGoat760

Postby Bernd » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:45 am

Try looking here:http://www.micro-loco-motion.com/home.html

He also sells on E-bay for N scale on up to O scale. You can get more info from his E-bay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/microlocomotion?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Bernd
Bernd

Postby RodTT » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:03 am

You may be able to get something from UK company 3SMR:
http://www.3smr.co.uk/motors.html
RodTT

Postby Murad » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:26 pm

I've used a mitsumi motor for kemtron docksider. It's pretty loud, but powerful and stable.
WTB any of the HP Products locomotive parts
Murad

Next

Return to General Discussion