DigiTrains throttle for android

Postby dileTTante » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:21 pm

Last night I installed newer firmware in my android tablet and had to re-install applications. When getting DCC throttles, Engine Driver for JMRI and Z21 for Roco, I found a new android DCC throttle - Digitrains. It's from Hungary. It's free. It's supposed to work with both JMRI and Roco Z21. I haven't tried it yet.

There's a video of the Digitrains throttle in use -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG252OBEeuI

Here's their web page, all in Hungarian -- http://www.digitools.hu/

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Re: DigiTrains throttle for android

Postby CN-TT » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:41 pm

Looks very interesting! I like how it's used for the turnout control with 2 buttons! :thumbup:
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:35 pm

Z21 mobile app provides similar control of turnouts as shown in the photo. I have no layout to speak of and no motorized turnouts at all, so I have never tried this feature. Z21 mobile throttle works with Rocrail controlling Z21 through the laptop. It looks ideal for your GuiTTar.

However, the Z21 throttle won't control through the JMRI you are using on your laptop. I use JMRI now only for programming decoders so I have no recent experience with the Engine Driver app but the attached screen shot looks like it can control turnouts on a layout. And the text on the Engine Driver page (http://enginedriver.rrclubs.org/) says -
'Press your phone's Menu button to access screens for Turnout, Route and Power control, as well as adjust settings and set numerous preferences.

You can also "fling" left or right to jump quickly back and forth between the Throttle, Routes and Turnouts pages.'

-Terry C.
Attachments
TT300.jpg
Z21 Mobile
largeX_enginedriver-throttle-screenshot-5.png
Engine Driver
Last edited by dileTTante on Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 3:24 am

That is pretty darn neat, now if they would make a version that would work on an iPad, I am onboard for an upgrade for my layout.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby dileTTante » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:27 am

Searching more I found their blog page in English, which includes a user guide worth reading.
http://digitrains-app.blogspot.hu/

Looks like the throttle is android only. Suggest getting a tablet just for a throttle, although I'm not a fan of Google. I enlisted my e-reader 7 inch tablet as a throttle for Engine Driver, then for Z21. Later I found the same e-reader second-hand at a flea market for $20. The size is good. Only Important things are wi-fi and good touch screen.

-Terry
dileTTante

Postby CN-TT » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:00 pm

After some reading and thinking, this app looks very usefull to me.
@Terry: Where did you get your e-reader (Vancouver flea market?) and do you have more specs or even a name of the model? Do you have any further experience with the app?
Thanks
Bjoern

CN-TT

Postby dileTTante » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:08 pm

My tablets are both Kobo Vox. The first one which I bought new at Chapters book store was about $200. The android is an earlier verion but all the throttles run well on it. Finding one at the flea market was just by chance, there is no regular vendor. Although the Vox got so-so reviews, it works reliably, and I like it because it opens easily to replace the battery or to get out the micro-SD card.

Locally, London Drugs have three 7 inch android tablets available from $50 to $100. Check their web site and search for android tablet. One review I read of the Proscan tablets did not rate the touch screen highly, so that would have to be tried in the store.

If you want to use the tablet just for train control then as I mentioned before, the main requirements are wi-fi and usable screen. Lots of memory or good book titles aren't important.

Over the holidays I was lazy and did nothing with TT, or anything else. Hopefully by the end of the month my set-up for the next train show will be ready and I can try the Digitrains throttle. Even so, updates have appeared for the app, at least two that I remember installing, giving the impression the software makers are serious.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby CN-TT » Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:42 pm

I contacted the developer of the app. An iOS version for Apple devices is in the making.
He also said, a virtual driving cab will be available in one month.

PS: Should we split this thread into two parts!? DigiTrains and the Bluetooth thing!? It would be easier for futur use!

CN-TT

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:30 pm

Topic is split. Here's the new one bluetooth-train-control-t2392.html
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CN-TT » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:29 pm

I've had trouble running the app with JMRI version 3.8. (constantly connecting/disconnecting every few seconds). Still trouble with the fairly new JMRI version 3.10.1. I couldn't get a train running. The communication with the developer is very good. I'm waiting for his reply to this issue.
The sound coming from the app is not bad! You can test it for free!

CN-TT

Next

Return to Electric / DCC