Different TT Scale/Gauge track brands?

Different TT Scale/Gauge track brands?

Postby railtwister » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:43 am

While searching the web for TT Track availability, I found a link to a site that many years ago had sent me a sample of their new flex track. Apparently, they are still in business, and they have expanded their product line to also include snap track, switches, and crossings. Here's the link:

http://www.ttscale.com/members/dns/Dnshome.htm#track

Is anyone on this list familiar with (or possibly even using) this track? Any feedback?

Thanks,
Bill
railtwister

Re: Different TT Scale/Gauge track brands?

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:57 am

Thanks for the link Bill. I didn't know about this track, now I'm curious about it as well.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm

I have some of their track. Aside from some of the section's rails being a little loose (they slide back and forth a little easy), they are a perfect match for Tillig.

(I think the sliding rails may be due to mishandling of the track, as only some of the sections have this affliction, and those that do seem a bit worn.)
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Richard-B » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 pm

The DNS TT-track is made in Germany... by Krüger.
IMHO it is very good stuff... and the switches are available both built-up and in kits.

My -only- complaint is that it is only available as Code 72... which is fine for main lines, but I've been thinking of trying to substitute some Code 55 rail in the plastic tie strips for sidings.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby BTTB Fan » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:43 pm

I saw the web page some time ago, and have been asking around for the e-mail address of the guy, but was told he does not use e-mail. I ended up ordering Tillig switches and flex track from Eurotrain Hobby.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby railtwister » Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:08 pm

Richard-B wrote:The DNS TT-track is made in Germany... by Krüger.
IMHO it is very good stuff... and the switches are available both built-up and in kits.

My -only- complaint is that it is only available as Code 72... which is fine for main lines, but I've been thinking of trying to substitute some Code 55 rail in the plastic tie strips for sidings.

I think they showed tie strip as being available separately. The trick would be finding smaller height rail with the same size base, so the gauge would stay accurate. I also heard back from Tim Warris of Fast Tracks regarding one of their turnout jigs for TT. It would be a custom cut unit and would run about $400 for left & right versions of your choice frog number. Larger frogs might be slightly higher due to requiring a larger base. He is planning on coming out with HOm fixtures in 2010 which will use the same track dimensions but have different tie spacing. They might be cheaper if he gets enough orders to justify a run instead of doing up one at a time (custom). From what I've read, turnouts made from his fixtures are the finest out there. He also has a layout of the Bronx Terminal RR he is building, and had it on display in Hartford. I think it is also featured on his website. He has done some amazing specialized trackwork for that layout! Check it out, you'll be amazed!

Regards,
Bill
railtwister

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 am

I also heard back from Tim Warris of Fast Tracks regarding one of their turnout jigs for TT. It would be a custom cut unit and would run about $400 for left & right versions of your choice frog number.

All of his jigs are milled as needed. I wonder if the $400 is to design and make the first jig. If so the second, third and subsequent ones would be cheaper. You might be able to get a few guys together to buy jigs and spread the cost of the first one around.

His jigs and turnout building system are very good. I have built HO code 83 and HOn30 code 70 turnouts using them. My first turnout was ugly but in gauge and worked well.

MicroEngineering code 83 and 70 have the same base size so you can use one jig for both those rail sizes. I do not currently know how much smaller the base of the code 55 rail is but it may be close enough to use in the same jig.

Bill Dixon
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:13 pm

railtwister wrote:I also heard back from Tim Warris of Fast Tracks regarding one of their turnout jigs for TT. It would be a custom cut unit and would run about $400 for left & right versions of your choice frog number. He is planning on coming out with HOm fixtures in 2010 which will use the same track dimensions but have different tie spacing. They might be cheaper if he gets enough orders to justify a run instead of doing up one at a time From what I've read, turnouts made from his fixtures are the finest out there.
l

I got the same $400 quote a while back. I would buy a TT #6 jig for the same price as an HO jig but I don't need it bad enough to spend $400 for his design work. The switches built from them are no better or no worse than common handbuilt pc tie switches that everyone has been building for the last 30 years, the only difference is the convenience of the jig holding the parts for you.
I don't know what HOm gauge is but if it is the same as tt gauge then the jig should work, the tie spacing doesn't really matter since the fasttrack jigs only have slots for pc ties at the frog and a few other strategic spots, all the other ties are just dummies for appearance so they could be spaced as needed.....dave
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:28 pm

What are pc ties?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:04 pm

ConducTTor wrote:What are pc ties?

Politically correct printed circuit board ties. Used instead of wood ties to save trees and allow the rails to be soldered instead of spiked. Space them only close enough to hold the rails in correct gauge then fill in with dummy wooden ties for appearance.....dave
ctxmf74

Next

Return to General Discussion