Decent #6 Turnout & Flextrack in TT?

Decent #6 Turnout & Flextrack in TT?

Postby railtwister » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:29 am

I know we have recently seen discussions here about needing a smaller rail size US profile turnout in TT, but does anyone presently manufacture a decent operating #6 turnout and flex track in code 70? American style ties and spacing would be nice, but flangeways that play well with the Gold Coast, MTB, and new Fox Valley wheelsets is more important (to me anyway) than cosmetic appearance.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Re: Decent #6 Turnout & Flextrack in TT?

Postby j p » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:57 am

Filigran makes code60, very nice turnouts - but the price is slightly higher for the version with wood ties (35 EUR kit, 60 EUR assembled) Version with plastic ties is cheaper (21 EUR for a kit, 29 EUR assembled)
See pm.
j p

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:26 pm

"TT-model" company offers Code 70 flex tracks, and 12-degrees turnouts (I do not know the number and radius)
Arseny

Postby j p » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:50 pm

Arseny wrote:"TT-model" company offers Code 70 flex tracks, and 12-degrees turnouts (I do not know the number and radius)

I don't know the number either, but the geometry looks much better than Tillig - because they are straight after the frog.
It is better to show the pictures from their webpage :grin:
It is possible to measure and calculate the turnout number from the pictures, but I don't have time for it at the moment, sorry.
Those are not nr.6., they are probably nr.4 or 5.

j p

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:08 pm

j p wrote:
Arseny wrote:"TT-model" company offers Code 70 flex tracks, and 12-degrees turnouts (I do not know the number and radius)

I don't know the number either, but the geometry looks much better than Tillig - because they are straight after the frog.
It is better to show the pictures from their webpage :grin:
It is possible to measure and calculate the turnout number from the pictures, but I don't have time for it at the moment, sorry.
Those are not nr.6., they are probably nr.4 or 5.

Are these the products DNS sells?

A 12 degree turnout is between a #4 1/2 (12 Degrees 40 minutes) and a #5 (11 26).
Use able for shorter cars and locomotives (40'-50') at slower speeds.

A number 6 is about 9 1/2 degrees (9 32).
A number 8 is about 7 degrees (7 10).

The rough guide the prototype uses for speed through the diverging side of a turnout is ~ 2 x turnout number.
So a number 8 that model railroaders consider to be a large turnout is really only good for 16 MPH.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby dileTTante » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:42 am

Years ago I got turnouts similar to these from DNS in Indiana (David Schneider, I think). Mine are marked 'Bing'. They are generally good but have pivoting points which some people don't like. The main fault is that the pivots raise the point rails just a bit higher than the rest of the rails in the turnout. You can see that in the photos.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby gerhard_k » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:17 pm

dileTTante wrote:Years ago I got turnouts similar to these from DNS in Indiana (David Schneider, I think). Mine are marked 'Bing'. They are generally good but have pivoting points which some people don't like. The main fault is that the pivots raise the point rails just a bit higher than the rest of the rails in the turnout. You can see that in the photos.
-Terry C.

DnS webpage on ttscale.com has pictures which match these exactly, especially the tie arrangement. DnS calls these #6, but the photos above scale out at #5 to 5.5, admittedly there may be some distortion due to the viewing angle.

A fellow on TT_IMS recently received some from DnS, after a wait of several months, and called them satisfactory. I have sent DnS a letter (he's not on computer) asking for current prices - will report back when.
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby CSD » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:09 pm

rail twister wrote:... does anyone presently manufacture a decent operating #6 turnout and flex track in code 70? American style ties and spacing ... flangeways that play well with the Gold Coast, MTB, and new Fox Valley wheel sets...

As far as American profile is concerned: No. I am currently in the process of manufacturing a #6 turnout with code 55 track. It works with all the above listed equipment.

In terms of the availability of NA profile flex track, it is time to start thinking code 55. I happen to know something about what's happening on that front and oversize rail is not part of it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Return to General Discussion