Decals

Decals

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:51 pm

I am wondering if aside from Art Griffin and Greg Komar, who have gotten out of manufacturing or who won't do minor scales, there are any other decal options for TT.

Just about everyone who kitbashes is chasing Jerry Glow for back orders at the moment and I don't want to add to his burden!

It's pretty sobering as if we cannot get decals or transfers, then the scale is in real trouble.

Ben
scaro

Re: Decals

Postby Rich B » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:25 pm

What transfers are you after? Andreas Nothaft does German ones for most scales, http://www.andreas-nothaft.de/, and will even customise them if you ask.

A few years back I got BAR decals done for a G scale Geep, nicely printed for me by MG decals- http://www.mgdecals.com/homepage.htm
Rich B

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Well, I'd need a few down the track. ACL, SAL, CofG, SOU, WofA, A&WP and Georgia, L&N, Frisco. Boxcars, hoppers, woodchip cars, pulpwood flats ... locos aren't such a problem with one of my favourites, Georgia / West Point Route since they were famously 'minimalistic'. But honestly, the key feature of US railroads is interchange and variety and you need lettering for cars so you can repaint, especially in a scale like TT. I don't mind making masters and molds for things, but drafting artwork for each model is stretching the friendship a bit.
scaro

Postby areibel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:52 pm

Ben you're turning into a Negative Nellie!
I've used a couple suppliers on this list-
http://www.greatdecals.com/Decals.html
I bought from Dan's Resin Casting, he is a little limited but did TT decals from his stock list. And I bought some from Solid Design, he was a little more expensive for small quantities but I ordered two sheets and got a good price. And he was able to do the ones I wanted from just some photographs I supplied. They were for Erie and Erie Lackawanna boxcars, so with a few basic dimensions and some nice side shots he was able to make up sheets with different car numbers, probably 18 or 20 sets per sheet. I think it was about $150 for two sheets but I should have all the decals I need for a while (If I only had more boxcars to put them on!).
And others on the list, it doesn't hurt to ask!
areibel

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:42 pm

Am I? I don't know ... the example you give is what manufacturers say when I ask them ... they are happy to do a minimum run of say 50 of one decal, costing about the price you mention ... which if you want to letter one car, is a very expensive way of going about it.

I have asked more manufacturers on the greatdecals list and one was interested to see the SW1200. But he still won't do any TT.
scaro

Postby areibel » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:47 pm

I bought a quantity from Solid Design, but that's because the same sets will work on several different 40 or 50 foot boxcars and I want to do a bunch.. and with my decalling skills I bought lots of extras. I only bought two sets from Dan's, but he already offered them in HO and would do TT for the same price. I'm not sure what model you're wanting to decal and which road, but if it's any solace you'd probably have the same difficulty in any other scale (except maybe HO) with trying to have one set made if it's not one of the "big" roads.
areibel

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:36 pm

Has anyone asked Rail Graphics if he can re-size his generic freight car data sheets to TT size? They contain dimensional and weight data plus other common small lettering so all one needs is to find road numbers and reporting marks. I've used the Rail Graphics sheets to do O and S scale cars with good results......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:38 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:generic freight car data sheets to TT size

Oh! That would be handy.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:45 pm

On the decals front, does anyone know where the German US group gets their decals done?
scaro

Postby TTTerrific » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:21 pm

Yeah, decals/dry transfers, etc. (lack of) are a serious problem. I am in the process of building a string of 1920-1946 SP-UP Pac Fruit Express reefers. To "get around" the decal issue I make flat-sided plastic slabs for car sides and ends in HO. These plastic "blanks" are then airbrushed by me using what is commonly referred to as SP Daylight orange. I then apply HO dry transfers from Clover House to decorate these flats. Lastly, I place them on my inkjet printer (Kodak Aio 5300) and step-down the copy from 100% (normal) to 73% (TT size). These reduced copies look fine. I cut them out and apply them to the car carcass (that I call a "blank"). I'd post some flics if I knew how.

It's a lot of work, but the results, for me, are justified.

My only problem now is that my Kodak, for whatever reason, isn't doing anywhere near the quality reproduction it used to do just a few months ago. Also, this unit, mfg'd in 2006, doesn't have wireless connectivity, so I'll probably be buying a new printer in the near future. Anyone have any thoughts about what a good brand of ink jet "all-in-one" printer might be? I'm willing to spend a max of around $350.00 for such a printer. :think:
TTTerrific

Next

Return to General Discussion