Re: Decals

Postby scaro » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:31 pm

I got a reply from Rodney of the 'Jacksonville terminal' website, which some of you may have unearthed if you have looked for prototype information on the FEC boxcars. His memories are that most boxcars had white lettering but some definitely had yellow, he saw one in the early to mid 1960s in yellow lettering.

Postby j p » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:04 pm

milwrd1 wrote:Excited about the UTLX decal set. :!: Please keep all informed of your progress.

Progress picture. The camera is cheating, the lettering is slightly more yellow. It will get a clear coat tomorrow and I'll try to take a picture in daylight.

After coating:

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
j p

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:55 pm

Looking good, jp. :thumbup:

Postby j p » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:38 pm

I have promised this car very long time ago...
It has not been tested yet, I don't know how would ALPS handle the black outlines.
Don't order anything yet.
I need your comments first.
The black text is for the frame and it will be printed in white.
The capacity on the side is according to the old standard (in pounds) and also as found on the real car (in gallons). You can just select the one which corresponds to your era. I'll add some older repack too.

j p

Postby scaro » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:22 pm

looks nice, and i like the continued southeastern emphasis.

as per the conversation on this in 2012, i have no clue of what the real car looked like and were there issues with the museum repaint?

museum restorations are getting fairly annoying; people photograph and upload them as if the vehicle were something that still belonged to a long-dead railroad, and you have to sort through all these gaudy repaints in what looks like car spray paint before you can get a shot of the real scheme.

i guess I should stick with the Georgia RR, no one's ever going to want to repaint their scheme: ... 920478.jpg

Postby j p » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:44 pm

It is based on the original paint, before the museum restoration.
Just remember that the tank is supposed to be cream-beige, not white. :grin:
j p

Postby railtwister » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:27 am

There is still no definitive answer on the actual color of these cars when they were in service. All I know for sure is that when I saw the car and took my notes at the museum, it was in the early 1990's, probably prior to 1995, and after hurricane Andrew (1992?). The car at at that time was pretty bleached out, appearing white to the camera, but pretty clearly looked to be a tan or beige to the naked eye. In the places where I rubbed the surface with a wet rag to remove the chalked paint, the color got darker, even after the surface dried, so I'm convinced it was closer to beige than white.

A few weeks ago, when displaying my club's HO modules at the museum, I ran into an old friend whose father was very active in the museum, dating back to the time it was at it's present location on the old Richmond Blimp Base, prior to the Cuban Missile Crisis. During the missile crisis, the base became an active anti-aircraft missile site, and all non-military access was restricted, so the train was moved to a property in the next county north, next to the Ft. Lauderdale International Airport. It was during that time that the two cars were donated to the museum. My friend, who was a young child at the time, says his memory of the cars was that they were white, not beige, and that the beige color in later years was the result of oxidation of the paint, combined with rusting of the metal underneath. I don't believe that was really the case, because when I saw the car, the color was very uniform in tone over the whole car, convincing me that it was beige originally.

We'll probably never know for sure, but in any case now, either beige or white is correct, because the museum painted the car white during it's restoration a few short years ago. The paint and wooden catwalks have already weathered severely because the car is outside and uncovered. In fact the wooden catwalks are so warped and twisted that they would be a hazard to any personnel, preventing the car from being operational.

The artwork for the decals looks good, but the black outline looks too fine to be visible, once everything is reduced to scale size. I think you may want to widen the black just a little bit to make it show up better on the model. Nice job!

Bill in FtL

Postby scaro » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:32 pm

got some CGW decals today. another of the smaller roads i'm fond of. the decals are designed with the proposed ARA 1923 steel boxcar in mind, the so-called 'CGW X29'. there's one here: ... 86198.html

these were very much ordered for one of my own projects so i can't promise they are suitable for other cars, even other CGW boxcars ... but it looks as though some of their PS-0 cars may have had about the same lettering.

my hope is that i can swap a few sets for TT decals or transfers others have made.

Postby scaro » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:00 pm

Decals that could be used for TT in the Microscale range:

87-1333 Chicago & Northwestern 50' boxcars -contains heralds in a TT size.

87-1136 and 60-1136 HO & N respectively - Soo Line steam locos, contains TT size $OO line dollar heralds, could be of use on older boxcars

87-19 Rock Island block lettering 1959-69 & 87-20 Rock Island speed lettering 1970-75 - both contains lettering in a few sizes, of use for TT locos and rolling stock

87-1133 and 60-1133 (HO & N respectively) Rock Island steam loco heralds - variety of sizes could both be of use for locos both steam and diesel

87-1132 and 60-1132 (HO & N) Rock Island steam 1915-37 -contain 'Rock Island' Roman style lettering that could be of use on older boxcars

87-777 and 60-777 (HO & N) Northern Pacific Freight Cars - Gons, Tanks, Hoppers, Flats, and Bulkhead Flats - variety of sizes of lettering but won't do the famous NP 'arched' lettering

87-184 Northern Pacific Cabooses (1930-1970) Caboose contains a few sizes of the NP 'Monad' herald and two sizes of extended Roman 'Northern Pacific' lettering

87-183 Missouri Pacific Cabooses - Includes Buzz Saw Logos - contains a variety of sizes of their herald, you're pretty stuffed for boxcar lettering though ...

87-446 M-K-T Freight Car - Assorted - variety of sizes of the minimalistic Deramus era M-K-T used on their boxcars but sadly no TT size heralds. 87-278 set for M-K-T diesels may assist there.

87-1081 and 60-1081 (HO & N) Cotton Belt (SSW)-40' & 50' Freight Car Heralds & Lettering - variety of sizes, may be possible to piece something together for an SSW boxcar from these two sets

87-734 Chicago Burlington & Quincy 40' Wood Boxcar (1915-1970)-Box Car - Wood - 40' - This is of interest as it contains a smaller sized 'Everywhere West' diagonal slogan that may be of use in TT; may be possible to scavenge a 'Burlington Route' square logo of the right size from one of the diesel sets.

Postby richardedmonds » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:07 am

Thats great work Ben all very helpfull

Return to General Discussion