Decals

Re: FEC Boxcars

Postby railtwister » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 am

j p wrote:Weren't the ventilated express cars with the lettering "Ventilated Express" while normal express without it?
Image
Or built as normal express boxcars and ventilation added later? The picture looks like shortly after delivery or builder's photo (reweigh NEW)



Interesting question. The vents and notation of ventilated car may well have been added later. The "ventilated" description does look sort of like it was added as an afterthought, as it doesn't really look like it was part of the original graphic layout somehow. I think the answer would be easier to determine if someone has a picture of the same car (#610) that shows it with the vents. If so, it's a safe bet that they were added later.

Bill in FtL
railtwister
 
Posts: 699
Images: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:39 am
Location: Oakland Park (Ft. Lauderdale), FL, USA

Re: Decals

Postby Marquette » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

They were built without the vents, which were added later.

I have in-service photos of 607, 617 and 639 - all with side vents. I also have this tidbit of info:

In 1945, Magor Car Corp. delivered one hundred 1937 AAR Box Cars to the Florida East Coast Railway. Fifty (Nos. 21001-21050, Lot W-743) were built for freight service and fifty (Nos. 601-650, Lot W-744) for express, head end service. Both groups of cars received Youngstown doors, Murphy panel roofs, 4/5 'W' corner Dreadnaught ends, wood running boards and Universal geared hand brakes. The express cars received express trucks.


601-650 also had steam lines.

By 1961 some (not all - my photo of 607 is in boxcar red and has ACI label) had been repainted blue, but the lettering was still in white and otherwise identical to the boxcar red scheme.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
User avatar
Marquette
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Decals

Postby j p » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:59 am

Marquette wrote:They were built without the vents, which were added later.

I have in-service photos of 607, 617 and 639 - all with side vents. I also have this tidbit of info:

In 1945, Magor Car Corp. delivered one hundred 1937 AAR Box Cars to the Florida East Coast Railway. Fifty (Nos. 21001-21050, Lot W-743) were built for freight service and fifty (Nos. 601-650, Lot W-744) for express, head end service. Both groups of cars received Youngstown doors, Murphy panel roofs, 4/5 'W' corner Dreadnaught ends, wood running boards and Universal geared hand brakes. The express cars received express trucks.


601-650 also had steam lines.

By 1961 some (not all - my photo of 607 is in boxcar red and has ACI label) had been repainted blue, but the lettering was still in white and otherwise identical to the boxcar red scheme.


Thank you!
What I see from the pictures is that the lettering was not the same.
The old lettering has lines above and below the road number. It will be possible to make both versions from the decal. I just have to make it clearly explained in the instruction sheet. There are some examples of wrong lettering on H0 models...
Old lettering with lines, boxcar XM (?), reweigh NEW '45
New lettering without the lines, boxcar XM-2 (?), reweigh BN '56
(I don't know what was the difference between XM and XM-2)
Optional text "When empty return to Ft. Pierce Fla." is included.
numbers 21002 or 21009. Additional numbers are possible.
There is enough space for 12 decal sets on the Letter-size sheet.

Richard-B gets full credit for the artwork!
j p
 
Posts: 1200
Images: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: Decals

Postby Marquette » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:00 pm

Far as I can tell from my photos the presence or absence of lines is the only difference.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
User avatar
Marquette
 
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Decals

Postby j p » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:54 pm

I have applied my test decals and found an error. Who can see it? The same error is on Lionel's H0 scale model.
I'll fix that tomorrow and send the FEC decals for print.
White lettering, normal boxcar, suitable for boxcar-red and blue versions. 4 different sets will be available for 4 different road numbers.

FECv1.jpg
First attempt for FEC decals. They have not been set and the car has not been painted with half-mat because I have to remove those decals and replace by the correct ones. It is a bad quality picture, I can take good pictures only in daylight. The lettering is sharp, not blured as on the picture.


The car is on my new Filligran track, you can compare it to the Tillig flextrack behind it.

The express version would require kitbashing of the GoldCoast car. I'll try to make one out of a HP kit with John Harmon's sides.
I have found one brass NA express truck in my box of parts... but only one :thumbdown:
I have no idea who manufactured those.
j p
 
Posts: 1200
Images: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: Decals

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:49 pm

j p wrote:I have applied my test decals and found an error. Who can see it? The same error is on Lionel's H0 scale model.
I'll fix that tomorrow and send the FEC decals for print.
White lettering, normal boxcar, suitable for boxcar-red and blue versions. 4 different sets will be available for 4 different road numbers.

FECv1.jpg




OK jp, I give up. Unable to determine the error. :think: :think: By the way, what's the status on the UTLX tank car decals :?:
milwrd1
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:07 am
Location: Vicksburg, MS USA

Re: Decals

Postby j p » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:25 pm

milwrd1 wrote:
OK jp, I give up. Unable to determine the error. :think: :think: By the way, what's the status on the UTLX tank car decals :?:


I have some artwork for the UTLX tankcars but I need more pictures of the prototypes, especially the ends.
Is Intermountain's H0 model correct? http://www.intermountain-railway.com/ho/images/46315wl.jpg
j p
 
Posts: 1200
Images: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

Re: Decals

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:33 pm

Filligran > Tillig
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
User avatar
ConducTTor
Site Admin
 
Posts: 8293
Images: 13
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 4:52 pm
Location: Atlanta GA USA

Re: Decals

Postby MacG » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:45 am

j p wrote:I have applied my test decals and found an error. Who can see it? The same error is on Lionel's H0 scale model.


The left lettering is a bit too big?
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
User avatar
MacG
 
Posts: 822
Images: 11
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:19 pm
Location: Dresden, Germany

Re: Decals

Postby j p » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:19 am

MacG wrote:
j p wrote:I have applied my test decals and found an error. Who can see it? The same error is on Lionel's H0 scale model.


The left lettering is a bit too big?


All lettering is too big.
j p
 
Posts: 1200
Images: 69
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests