Decals

Re: Decals

Postby MacG » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:17 pm

I think it is white on blue and not yellow.

In 1945 delivered to FEC with standard box car red and the lettering was almost exactly the same at delivery.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby railtwister » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:31 pm

You may be right about that. When I first looked at the picture, it looked like yellow, which was reinforced by my memory of having an HO model that was blue with yellow lettering (which may have been incorrect). Looking at the photo again, and comparing the FEC car with the car next to it, it does look more like it's lettered in white.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby scaro » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:48 pm

i guess there's a fair bit of modelling that consists in repeating attractive misapprehensions.

this page indicates the colour of the lettering remained the same.

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gall ... 9main.html

I think they'd mention if it was altered to yellow. now i think it's a pity. but those who have doubts, or who just prefer yellow lettering, can use judicious weathering to achieve the purpose.
scaro

Postby j p » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:05 pm

scaro wrote:i guess there's a fair bit of modelling that consists in repeating attractive misapprehensions.

this page indicates the colour of the lettering remained the same.

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gall ... 9main.html

I think they'd mention if it was altered to yellow. now i think it's a pity. but those who have doubts, or who just prefer yellow lettering, can use judicious weathering to achieve the purpose.

Once the artwork is ready, it does not take much extra to make it in yellow instead of white.
So yellow can be made if someone wants it.
j p

Postby scaro » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:23 pm

a couple of things that are worth looking out for with decals.

cabooses tend to have smaller emblems than boxcars or locos. so if you are after a herald or lettering closer to TT, check the HO decals for your prototype's cabooses. (evidently not a whole bundle of use if you model the current scene.)

there are a couple of dealers who do multi size decals with emblems for one railroad. one is toms1971 on ebay who offers jersey central decals in sizes from O scale down to N and everything between, on one sheet, for $10. there may be others who do this, i don't know.

i will soon be the proud owner of 25 sheets of Georgia and West Point Route boxcar decals from Rail Graphics so if anyone has anything you'd like to swap, message me.

one plus of this is that i imagine this will mean i have sufficient 'generic' TT wagon data for a long time.
scaro

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm

A possible supplier might be
Bill Mosteller
Great Decals!
www.greatdecals.com
He recently posted on MRH forum that he had not had any TT inquiries but would be interested in hearing what we need. ..DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby railtwister » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:52 pm

railtwister wrote:You may be right about that. When I first looked at the picture, it looked like yellow, which was reinforced by my memory of having an HO model that was blue with yellow lettering (which may have been incorrect). Looking at the photo again, and comparing the FEC car with the car next to it, it does look more like it's lettered in white.

Bill in FtL

Back to the FEC "Speedway" boxcar schemes. I just ran into an old friend who was an engineer on the FEC (as was his father), and I happened to ask him about the "Speedway" boxcar colors. He confirmed my notion that the blue boxcars did indeed have yellow lettering. He also mentioned that both the blue and the yellow paints used on those cars tended to fade so badly that in many photos, the actual original color can be hard to determine.

Bill
railtwister

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:22 pm

Thanks Bill. I've pretty much drawn a blank on prototype FEC freight car photos from the 50s and 60s. I assume either they didn't own many or they just didn't attract much interest.
scaro

Postby MacG » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:46 pm

It isn't too much work with the yellow lettering? I think a yellow paint on blue ground needs a white primer.

FEC got 100 cars, 50 for express service. Number range 21001-21050 and 601-650.

Only black and white pictures are at the book Speedway to Sunshine.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Richard-B » Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:05 pm

MacG wrote:It isn't too much work with the yellow lettering? I think a yellow paint on blue ground needs a white primer.

I'd be tempted to take a good opaque white decal... and go over the white lettering ink with a yellow permanent marker;
It should give the slightly chalked-out yellow the prototype had...
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion