Decals

Re: Decals

Postby j p » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:44 am

Here is a new addition to the decals.
It is a stand-in, the prototype looks slightly different. It is up to the modeler if he/she can be happy with the stand-in version as on the picture or wants to modify the top platform and the position of the ladder.
The small text is readable (kind of) with magnifying glass. It is sharper than on the photo.
I am aware of the paint not being perfect. I can do better than that. The spray bottle was almost empty and did not have enough pressure. Good enough for testing the decals though.
Please use pm for any comments and observations which could be considered negative. That helps now, while I can make changes. Thanks!
Is anyone interested in handmade RTR version (more expensive than serial production from MTB/Zeuke-TT)?

STSX1508.jpg
j p

Re: FEC Boxcars

Postby Marquette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:25 pm

j p wrote:
Marquette wrote:
j p wrote:Any idea about the paint? Was it "boxcar red", blue, or something else? I am not an expert on FEC :)

Both schemes existed.

Thanks. I have trucks only for one car. The picture looks like shortly after manufacturing (new reweigh). So I'll go for the red.

Can I make a suggestion?

Here's a picture of the other side of the 601-650 series:

FEC 639.jpg

As you see, there's a large vent there!

The 21001-21050 series, however, was just "regular" 1937 cars without any special modifications, and I think the only thing you'd need to change to get an exact match is the brake wheel (the FEC cars had Universal, not Ajax).

The bulk of the lettering was identical, but note in the photo of 639 above the addition of "Ventilator Express" - I don't know when this was added, or if this was on both sides; the builder's photo of 610 is the only photo I have of the non-vent side of the car, and all my photos of the *other* side are all in-service photos.

FEC 21001.jpg

This is the same side as the photo of 610, as you can see, no vent. It also lacks the "Railway Express Agency" and "Ventilator Express" lettering, and has "XM-2" instead of "BX" by the right-side ladder (this was removed on some of the in-service photos I've got, of both series - my guess is after repainting).

Blue scheme started appearing around 1961, per the info I have, on the 21001-series cars; I have no info on the 601 series cars, and the one in-service colour shot I have, it's red.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby Marquette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Actually, now I'm kinda confused - the photo of 639 shows the same side of the car as the photo of 610! So this says that 639 had the vent on both sides; I also have photos of 607 and 617, they both have the vents, and according to my info, 616 also had the vents. Also, here's a picture of 602 and another one:

(This photo also answers my previous uncertainty - yes, some of the 601-650 series *did* get painted blue!)

So three possibilities I see:

1. #610 was representative of *some* but by no means all of the cars in the 601-650 series, and some were built with vents, and some without. Counterpoint - if this is the case, why do all the in-service photos of cars in this series have vents?

2. #610 was a one-of a kind car, the only one in the series without vents. Why would this be the case though?

3. The car in the builders photo is *not* actually car #610, but was just painted that way for demonstration purposes (that photo was originally published in the 1946 Car Builders' Cyclopedia...)

Still puzzled.
Marquette

Postby j p » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:48 pm

I can add the vents to the express car.

3. The car in the builders photo is *not* actually car #610, but was just painted that way for demonstration purposes (that photo was originally published in the 1946 Car Builders' Cyclopedia...)

The trucks seem to be correct for express car. Would they paint other railroad's car to FEC scheme?

How about 4. the vents were added later after FEC found out that express boxcars without ventilation were not the best choice for Florida temperatures.

I have two of the "regular" boxcars series 21001-21050 already, in both red and blue. I'll make one more blue with yellow lettering. Some people said that yellow lettering was used too. Therefore I made the decals in both white and yellow. People can select which version they like better.
j p

Postby Marquette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:58 pm

I remember seeing some discussion somewhere about the white vs yellow lettering, unfortunately I can't remember where. I think the general consensus was that the lettering was white but yellowed with age? But I really don't remember.

The trucks do seem right, yes. As for painting another road's car... maybe? Depending? Maybe their batch wasn't built yet but FEC wanted some promotional material? *shrug* I don't know. However, your option number 4 is also plausible... though one would think that, having been Floridians and having had boxcars before, this would be something they'd've thought of?

I really don't know. :(
Marquette

Postby Tom Dempsey » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:16 pm

Perhaps the modification to ventilated express service was made inhouse by FEC at the Jacksonville shops to accommodate a need at that point for additional ventilated express service cars.
Tom Dempsey

Postby Marquette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Given the lack of other evidence I'm starting to think that's the likeliest explanation, yeah.

I'm debating whether I'm curious enough to try writing FEC and asking them...
Marquette

Postby j p » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:03 pm

OK. Thank you.
I'll make the vents.

Regarding the white/yellow lettering: the only color picture I have seen had white lettering, with some railroad red dust from brakes on it. Some people requested yellow, so I made yellow version too.
Maybe I should make my 2nd blue car with white lettering :)
j p

Postby Marquette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:10 pm

FEC 21009.jpg

That lettering is white.

Unfortunately I don't know what that is to the left of the door, I haven't seen it on other pictures.
Marquette

Postby j p » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:19 pm

The rectangle? That is "when empty return to Ft. Pierce Fla.
It is on the decal sheet too and I use it only for model of this car, 21009.
j p

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion